- —Mister M[src]
Absolon Mercator's mutant powers first manifested in his native Belgium. After an accident, where Absolon killed a boy bullying his cousin Rubin (Absolon turned him inside out and the boy lived for three days in that state), Absolon was sent to the U.S. to live with relatives. Absolon struggled with himself and his identity. Absolon used his powers to fix things such as toasters for money. Absolon was a loner, and normally only left his apartment at night. Absolon's only known close friend was Hanna Levy, a mutant who ate insects.
Secretions from a kidnapped mutant called Toad Boy were being sold as designer drugs at clubs. Although mutants who ingested toad juice recovered, humans died violently. Izzy and Bishop investigated. Mr. M attempted to help the boy, taking him to his mother. Daniel Shaky Kaufman's men went looking for him after viewing a surveillance tape. While being confronted, Mr. M phased his hand into a gunman, unintentionally killing him.
Hannah told Absolon to seek out Izzy for help. Absolon found Izzy's daughter Chamyra the victim of a gunshot wound, accidentally shot by her own brother. Absolon removed the bullet. However, Izzy and Bishop saw him and thought Absolon was attacking Chamyra. Bishop absorbed his energy, but it seemed too much for even him to handle. Absolon then fled.
Angry and confused, Absolon vowed he would destroy Mutant Town. Absolon was confronted by Bishop and Izzy again. However, Lara the Illusionist tricked him into thinking he had destroyed the town. Bishop then released the energy harmlessly into the atmosphere. Absolon agreed to turn himself in.
Although charges were dropped against Absolon, Absolon was shot in the head shortly after being released. Absolon's powers saved his life, but Absolon spent some time recuperating in the hospital.
After M-Day, Absolon was one of the few mutants who retained his powers. Absolon headed to the Xavier Institute, where he immediately put himself on the radar of O*N*E by easily toppling a Sentinel that was about to crush a caterpillar. They considered him a serious threat especially with the other mutants treating him as a savior-like figure. Absolon also began a relationship with Lorelei Travis after restoring her hair.
Absolon decided to have the The 198 leave the mansion despite the X-Men and O*N*E's attempts to stop them. The face in Johnny Dee's chest quietly declared him a threat that had to be eliminated. Mr. M led his followers to an island which they reached by walking across the water. When the X Men showed up to try and talk them into returning, Cyclops was promptly attacked by a mind-controlled Erg and when he retaliated Mr. M declared he would protect his followers. However, Johnny Dee, under the command of General Lazer, used his voodoo dolls to make Leech depower Absolon and then used Magma to annihilate Mr. M.
That night, as Lorelei and Leech watched over Absolon's coffin, they fell asleep. The pair woke to an empty casket. Later, Lorelei and Leech, surrounded by butterflies, told the 198 about their experience: "I can't tell you what we saw. I don't have the words". Absolon never appeared to anyone else, but Absolon did not want them to grieve for him, so Absolon sent them a message. 'Some things do not die... THEY EVOLVE!'"
When the nation of Krakoa was established, omega-level mutants became one of its cornerstones. Most of them joined Krakoa, but Absolon was one of a few exceptions. The Krakoans finally learned of Absolon's whereabouts during the X of Swords tournament held in Otherworld.
After seizing control of Avalon, Apocalypse had invited Absolon to seize a part of the territory and to shape it as he would. Apocalypse gave him the Siege Perilous to guard, and told Absolon to keep his new realm closed off to mutantkind until the day they needed the Siege arrived. Absolon turned the territory into Mercator, a province named after himself.
During Hellfire Gala, Magneto gathered several omega level mutants in order to terraform Mars. Magneto visited Absolon to ask him to join and help with the process, but Absolon refused to participate.
Matter Manipulation: Mercator is an Omega Level mutant with power to manipulate matter. He has an unlimited transmutational power to alter molecular structure of anything around him and has been described as virtually omnipotent. Applications of his power include:
- Machine Manipulation: Mercator can manipulate the inner workings of complex machines, can fix or break them.
- Intangibility: Mercator can make himself intangible to pass through inorganic and organic matter.
- Electricity Generation: He can generate bolts of electricity from hands.
- Air Manipulation: He can suffocate people by removing air from their body and surroundings.
- Power Negation: He can depower other mutants.
- Power Amplification
- Biological Manipulation: He can manipulate organic matter to change people physical form, turn them inside out, increase living beings in size, etc.
- Plant Manipulation: He can accelerate plant's growth.
- Healing: He can heal wounds by recreating organic matter, including restoring lost parts, like Lorelei's long hair from scratch in a matter of seconds.
- Life Creation: He can create living beings like butterflies and pterodactyls.
- Force Field: He could create big enough force fields to contain two Sentinels inside and protect them from attacks of multiple mutants.
- Telepathic Immunity: According to Emma Frost, his mind is too vast and confusing for any telepath to even read it not to mention control it.
- Nuclear Explosion: He can create controllable nuclear explosions, powerful enough to obliterate entire town.
- 15 appearance(s) of Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
- 3 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
- 6 mention(s) of Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
- 6 image(s) of Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)
- 3 quotation(s) by or about Absolon Mercator (Earth-616)