Two tales, slightly different exist of the origin and early actions of Ahriman, or Angra Mainyu, the "chaotic spirit", the "destructive mind", a Zoroastrian deity. Allegedly, according to the ancient Zoroastrian lore and the Zurvanite tradition, Ahura Mazda, the creator god, emerged from the personification of infinite time, Zurvan. A wise and benevolent being representing truth, order and justice, Ahura Mazda started populating his domain with life.
There is at least two competing stories:
- His birth was soon followed in the one of his twisted mirror image and antithesis, Ahriman, who personified deceit and chaos.
- Angra Mainyu and Ahura Mazda were the twin sons of Zurvan. Angra Mainyu tore free of Time's womb, and as first-born, inherited creation for 9,000 years. This tale might be the earliest conception of the Fall of Man, the idea that the world is tainted and ruled by God's opposite.
Ahriman rejected the peace offerings of Ahura Mazda, and tried to kill the life Ahriman had been imbued in his domain. Despite abhorring conflict, Ahura Mazda opposed Ahriman, and after a prolonged battle, narrowly overcame and banished him to the Nether Realms.
There, he created the Divs, demonic gods with the sole purpose of opposing the Yazatas. Since then, the two groups have waged an endless war against each often, often using mortals as pawn in attempt to gain the upper hand. To fulfill his purposes of chaos and strife, Ahriman created various magical talisman. Among those were:
- The Heart of Ahriman, a golden orb capable of enhancing magical powers.
- The Eye of Ahriman, a red jewel capable of augmenting existing magical power.
Lilith and Malik Taus
That Heart of Ahriman was transformed by Ahura Mazda to release pure white magic (but the Heart was nevertheless used for evil by mortals). Around 13,000 BC, the Heart fell into the hands of the Xaltotun, a High Priest of Elder God Set in the Acheronian city of Python, then was stolen and used to cause the fall of the Acheronian Empire, and was used again three thousands years later to resurrect Xaltotun, before eventually being given to Hadrathus.
According to the legend, every few centuries, the Endless Stair, a stairway between Heaven and Hell opened next to a small town of the Bossonian Marches in Aquilonia, when Ahriman and Mitra came to trade in the souls of men. Allegedly, a fabulous treasure and utter perils accompanied the event for one who would approach it. Circa 10,000 BC, Red Sonja witnessed such event, and encountered an angel-like creature destined to "her" treasure, having beaten her and wishing to live with her, but rejected him.
In late 18th century, High Priest of Ahriman Ennis Tremellyn aboard a ship sinking off New England coast, used the power of the Eye of Ahriman to bound his life essence to Kemo, a Polynesian sailor, who was consequently mystically kept alive for centuries.
Angrey Mainyu has the power to create good, but simply refuses to, actively chosing evil.
- In Conan the Barbarian: Flame and the Fiend, a sorceress named Armati summoned a demon named Angra Mainyu, who bore resemblance to Ahriman. It is likely that Angra-Mainyu and Armati are simply references to the Zoroastrian gods Ahriman/Angra Mainyu and Armaiti), though whether or not Angra-Mainyu and Ahriman are meant to be the same entity is unknown.
- 1 Appearances of Ahriman (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Ahriman (Earth-616)
- Media Ahriman (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Ahriman (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Ahriman (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Ahriman (Earth-616)
- Ahriman at the Marvel Appendix
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1; The Yazatas' entry
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Immortal Hulk #12
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Savage Sword of Conan #188; The Power of Honor
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol 4 #18; Lilith's entry
- ↑ Journey into Mystery Vol 2 #1; Dig Me No Grave
- ↑ Savage Sword of Conan #169; The Endless Stair
|Like this? Let us know!|