Amalgam's history and nature were unknown -- but not un-guessed at. A good deal of evidence pointed to her being an alternate-future version of Rogue of the X-Men -- she wore Rogue's original costume, had a light streak in the same place in her hair, and could absorb the minds and powers of other mutants with a touch. It is this ability that seemed to be key to her quest: to collect the powers and memories of dying mutants so a part of them could continue to fight for mutant kind, in her. It appeared she traveled up and down the time-stream offering mutants 'The Choice,' but no indication was given of just how many mutants accepted it, or what she intended to do with their powers and memories. Among those apparently included within the Amalgam were alternate future versions of Cyclops (who died in a Sentinel attack), Beast, Nightcrawler, Mystique, and Destiny (Irene Adler).
Amalgam only appeared twice that was known of, both times to Warren Worthington III, Archangel of the X-Men. When he was impaled to a wall by the Marauders during the Morlock Massacre, Amalgam appeared to him. Apparently, she came for the Massacre and had already offered 'The Choice' to many of the dying Morlocks when she found Warren. She explained her purpose to him, but it took her assuming the appearances and personalities of his X-Factor teammates Cyclops and the Beast (both in their appearances/costumes of the time) for him to agree to be added to the Amalgam. She kissed him but was unable to absorb him because something deep within fought her. Scanning the future, she discovered that he was not yet fated to die, but instead to become Archangel, and left him to be found by his friends. He chalked it up to hallucinations from the pain.
Amalgam reappeared to Warren years later, after he was injured preventing a group of terrorists from stealing nuclear materials. She scolded him for being a 'tease.' Warren remembered his first encounter with her, and later woke up in a hospital with some of the other X-Men with him. They told him that the terrorists claimed an 'Angel of Death' appeared to their dying leader, a mutant with the abilities to accurately calculate the likelihood of future events.
Powers and Abilities
- Has the ability to absorb the powers and memories of mutants and sees herself as housing the re-creations of the mutants she absorbs.
- Able to travel through time
- Can change shape to mimic the appearance of the mutants she houses, and utilize other mutant powers from those she has absorbed (including those of the mutants Beast, Cyclops, and Destiny).
- Her powers seem identical to those of Rogue, and her depicted costume is identical (or nearly so) to Rogue's original costume. Perhaps Amalgam is Rogue from an alternate future.
- She shares an identical role with Legacy aka Reaper, another alternate reality Rogue
Links and References
- Danny Wall's Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe