Appearing in "Countdown to Chaos!"
Synopsis for "Countdown to Chaos!"
The Smasher is sent out to capture Joe Robertson, the one man resourceful enough to uncover dirt on Richard Raleigh. Spider-Man arrives in time to stop the creature from capturing Robertson and leads the monster on a chase through the city until he can escape. Resuming his guise of Peter Parker, Spider-Man joins Harry, Gwen and Mary Jane in driving a campaign truck for Raleigh's campaign. It's soon attacked by the Smasher. Everyone gets out safely before the Smasher destroys the truck, but a furious Peter Parker storms off after the monster, changing into Spider-Man to stop the Smasher once and for all.
With a spider-tracer, Spider-Man tracks the Smasher back to the Disruptor's lair, where the Disruptor over-uses the control device on Smasher, causing the beast to go berserk, killing the Disruptor with but one blow. Spider-Man fights the monster until it overloads and dies itself. In the aftermath of the battle, Spider-Man unmasks the Disruptor and learns that it's really Raleigh in disguise. He leaves the scene when the police arrive, and Jonah and Robertson discover the body of Raleigh, Jameson remains unconvinced that Raleigh was involved in any criminal activity, and intends on writing one of his usual anti-Spider-Man editorials for the Bugle's next edition.
This is it! The way-out wind-up, as Spidey takes on both the deadly Disruptor — and the lethally-strong Smasher! A thrill on every page!
- This issue adapts pages 34-52 of Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #1. The story was heavily re-drawn and edited to fit the continuity of the time. However, as Richard Raleigh had been seen dead as well in Daredevil #42, it remains unclear which of the two versions are to be considered in continuity. Notable changes are:
- In the original story, Richard Raleigh sends the Man-Monster to capture George Stacy, who had been looking into his past. This scene has been greatly changed for a few reasons: The most important is the fact that George Stacy had died in Amazing Spider-Man #90. The moments where Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy are present during the attack are cut because the motorcycle that Peter Parker bought in Amazing Spider-Man #44 was later sold in Amazing Spider-Man #66.
- An additional scene of Peter, Gwen, Mary Jane, and Harry are driving a Raleigh campaign vehicle.
- The final battle between Spider-Man, Raleigh, and his minions is altered in that Raleigh is disguised as the Disruptor. In this version of the story, Spider-Man removes the Disruptor's costume. The scene where Jameson discovers Raleigh dead in the ruins of his mansion is altered to show Spider-Man disposing of the Disruptor costume and teasing Spider-Man's battle with the Hulk, which occurs next issue.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 118 on the forums
- 3 Images from Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 118
- 1 Reprints of Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 118
Links and References
|Like this? Let us know!|