Appearing in "Danger Is a Man Named... Tarantula"
- Mary Jane Watson
- Liz Allan
- Flash Thompson
- Harry Osborn
- Daily Bugle Staff
- Tarantula (Anton Miguel Rodriguez) (First appearance)
- Tarantula's Henchmen
- Mayor Abe Beame (Poster) (Topical reference)
- Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) (Recap)
- Aunt May (Recap)
- Anna Watson (Recap)
- Molten Man (Mark Raxton) (Recap)
- Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) (Referenced)
- Gwen Stacy (Referenced)
- John Lindsay (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Punisher (Frank Castle) (Cameo)
Races and Species:
- New York City
- Ocean liner
- Spider-Mobile (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "Danger Is a Man Named... Tarantula"
Running late for a cruise with Flash Thompson, Mary Jane, and Liz Allan, Peter web-slings to the docks so as not to miss the trip. Changing back to Peter Parker he makes it just in time. The cruise goes sour when it is hijacked by the costumed mercenary known as the Tarantula, who intends on ransoming off the passengers for one million dollars. Peter slips away and changes into Spider-Man, and attacks the Tarantula. However, the Tarantula knocks some of the crew overboard, Spider-Man is forced to jump ship to save them. He realizes that he's out of web-fluid and cannot swing to the ship. He then rushes back to his apartment he shares with Harry Osborn and quickly grabs his spare web-cartridges. He leaves in such a rush that he doesn't notice that Harry Osborn had spied him doing so and has discovered Peter's secret identity.
As word of the ransom (and demands for financial help from the mayor) reach J. Jonah Jameson, Spider-Man manages to web-sling back onto the ship to resume his fight with the Tarantula. Although he is tagged by the drugged tips of the Tarantula's boots, Spider-Man manages to put up a good fight against his foe. However, the drugs that kick in and Spider-Man briefly blacks out, when he comes around he sees that the Punisher has arrived, and is now pointing a gun in his face, seeking to take control of the situation.
- Peter Parker mentions "hassles" he has had with Aunt May. She was stricken with a flu virus in Giant-Size Spider-Man #1.
- There is an election poster for former New York Mayor Abe Beame posted on a wall in this story. Beame was mayor of New York from 1974-1977. This should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
- Peter also recounts his battle with Doctor Octopus and the foe's failed attempt to marry Aunt May from Amazing Spider-Man #130-131 as well as his recent battle with the Molten Man in Amazing Spider-Man #132.
- Spider-Man recounts how he is wanted for the murder of Norman Osborn. A complicated matter that occurred during the events of Amazing Spider-Man #121-123. As the Green Goblin, Norman was responsible for the death of Peter's girlfriend Gwen Stacy. Norman died shortly thereafter. His son Harry recovered his costume so nobody would connect his father to the Green Goblin. However, unknown to all, Norman is still alive thanks to his enhanced healing abilities as revealed in Osborne Journals #1, he will resurface in Amazing Spider-Man #412.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 134 on the forums
- 5 Image(s) from Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 134
- 7 Reprints of Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 134
Links and References
|Like this? Let us know!|