Appearing in "Mayhem by Moonlight!"
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "Mayhem by Moonlight!"
Spider-Man is swinging across the city to make it to the New York Hospital, where he changes back to Peter Parker to visit his Aunt May before she is taken to a retirement home. After May is taken away, her doctor makes a rude comment about how Peter won't have to worry about her and Peter loses his temper and almost punches him with his spider-strength before checking himself and leaving the scene.
While at the Daily Bugle, J. Jonah Jameson becomes furious that none of his reporters or the authorities can find out what happened to his son and storms out of the office. Unknown to either him or Spider-Man, a shadowed figure and a mummified man are plotting to get revenge against both of them. Jameson goes to visit Marla Madison and tells her of his recent troubles and she comforts him.
As Spider-Man breaks up an attempted robbery that is surrounded by the police. The police are less than happy about Spider-Man's involvement because they has the situation under control. Meanwhile, Jameson goes to visit District Attorney Blake Tower to demand he does more to find his son. When Blake says he is doing all that he can, Jameson decides to put out ads offering a reward for John's safe return. Jameson is too busy with this campaign to overly care about Robbie's lead on a shipment of stolen plutonium.
This plutonium has been stolen by the mystery man gunning for both the wall-crawler and crotchety publisher and is using it to power his equipment in his secret Westchester headquarters to irradiate his mummified soldier. While back at Peter Parker's apartment, Betty drops in on Peter and the two talk about their relationship in light of her separation from Ned Leeds. This leads to Betty kissing Peter, telling him that she wants to leave Ned for good because she is still in love with Parker.
Later, changing into Spider-Man, Peter web-slings across the city and happens upon the mummy attacking the Daily Bugle building and going after J. Jonah Jameson. Spidey tries to stop the foe and finds him super strong. In the scuffle over Jameson, the bandages on the attacker's body unravel revealing it's true identity: The Man-Wolf. Shocked by this revelation, Spider-Man is distracted enough to be knocked out by one of the Man-Wolf's blows, the creature then grabs Jameson and flees the scene with his own father as hostage.
- Glory Grant is depicted using a typewriter at her desk. This should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
- Spider-Man recounts his recent battles with the Chameleon, Electro, and the kidnapping of John Jameson. These all happened from Amazing Spider-Man #186-188.
- This is the first time that J. Jonah Jameson mentions that his wife had died. It is later revealed in Marvel Holiday Special #2004 that she was murdered by a masked gunman.
- Mention is made of Peter's relationship with Betty Brant. The pair are old flames having dated from Amazing Spider-Man #7-30. Betty went on to marry Ned Leeds in Amazing Spider-Man #156. Unhappy in her marriage she has been trying to rekindle the old flame since Amazing Spider-Man #183.
A flashback in this story affects the chronology of the following characters:
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 189 on the forums
- 1 Image(s) from Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 189
- 2 Reprints of Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 189
|Like this? Let us know!|