Appearing in "Mysterio is Deadlier by the Dozen!"
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "Mysterio is Deadlier by the Dozen!"
Spider-Man has just been senselessly beaten by the Kingpin, who has left Spider-Man to his fate, having given up his life of crime for his wife Vanessa. The police find Spider-Man and bring him to a hospital, where a doctor treats him and makes sure that nobody unmasks the wall-crawler.
While at the Restwell Retirement home, Dr. Reinhardt reveals himself as the original Mysterio and reveals to the Burglar that he faked his own death to operate in more subtle fraudulent ways, and that his role as administrator of Restwell allowed him to swindle the elderly that he cared for out of their valuables. Hoping to get this treasure the Burglar has been trying to find, Mystery turns his illusion casting powers on the man, knocking him out and tying him up in the boiler room of the retirement home.
While back at the hospital, Spider-Man revives and leaves in spite of the doctor's orders to stay and get more treatment for his now-broken arm he speeds off for the Restwell Retirement Home, and soon finds himself victim to Mysterio's illusions which now appear more elaborate than ever. While at the Daily Bugle, J. Jonah Jameson has become even more irrational. When Marla Madison tries to talk sense into Jonah. Jameson then enters the boardroom where an investors meeting is happening. When the other shareholders of the Bugle question Jameson's recent decisions as editor, Jameson loses his temper and his fury causes a total nervous breakdown and he faints to the floor.
Back at the Restwell Retirement Home, Spider-Man finally tackles Mysterio one-on-one, however, he finds that his foe's new hypnosis based illusions and is easily knocked out by his longtime foe. Reviving, Spider-Man has found that Mysterio has chained him to the bottom of the facilities wading pool. Mysterio then begins to fill the pool with water, gloating over how his old nemesis will helplessly drown.
- Spider-Man's dream is haunted by those he feels that he failed. These individuals are:
- J. Jonah Jameson blames Spider-Man for the death of his son. John Jameson disappeared in Amazing Spider-Man #190. He isn't dead, however, but was transported to the Microverse as seen in Savage She-Hulk #13-14.
- Peter believes that his Aunt May died in Amazing Spider-Man #196, she is still alive however as part of Mysterio's ruse, as seen in Amazing Spider-Man #200.
- Betty Brant was heartbroken by Peter in Amazing Spider-Man #192. She came back to New York in Amazing Spider-Man #183 after her marriage to Ned Leeds (Amazing Spider-Man #156) started to go south. She sought to rekindle her previous romance with Peter.
- Harry and Flash are upset because Peter snubbed them, also seen in Amazing Spider-Man #192. ** Likewise is Joe Robertson's disapproval due to Peter not making a photo shoot, leading to Peter getting fired from the Daily Bugle. This firing, however, is short-lived as Jameson hires him back in Amazing Spider-Man #210.
- Mysterio makes the burglar relive his first encounter with Spider-Man following the murder of Ben Parker, as seen in Amazing Fantasy #15.
- Mysterio reveals how he faked his own death and trained Daniel Berkhart to be his replacement. Reports of Mysterio's death were first reported in Amazing Spider-Man #141.
- Jameson's increasingly irrational behavior is a combination of grief caused by the disappearance of his son John in Amazing Spider-Man #190, something he blames Spider-Man for. However, his mental state is also being affected by a device created by Jonas Harrow, as revealed in Amazing Spider-Man #206.
- Spider-Man finally makes the connection between Dr. Reinhardt and Mysterio, remembering that his foe used this identity back in Amazing Spider-Man #24.
A flashback in this story affects the chronology of the following characters:
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 198 on the forums
- Images from Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 198
Links and References
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|