At the time of Queen Myrina, the city of Atlantis hired her Amazons to root out a nest of Gorgons, and took many of those creatures captive. The garrison left behind was slain, as the Atlanteans hated the warrior-women and wanted to avoid payment. Wishing to protect their power, the Atlantean's council of sorcerers tried to harness a fraction of the power of the Axis Mundi, but were unable to control the energies, causing the Great Cataclysm (along with other causes).
During the Hyborian Age, at least three groups of women warriors were known as Amazons (though their relations to the Amazons are unknown, if any):
- The foremost was the Black Amazons, also known as the Amazons of Gamburu, in the kingdom Amazon, who were led by a queen always named "Nzinga".
- Another was the Warrior Women of Z'Harr Hr'ann, also known as "White amazons" (in contrast to the "black Amazons")or "Vilayet Amazons".
- A third group were the (fair-skinned) Amazons led by Queen Bryn, and living in the Valley of the Amazons, in the Secret City of the Amazons.
In 1270 BC, Hercules went to Themiscyra, to steal the girdle of Hippolyta Queen of the Amazons, a gift from Hippolyta's father Ares. However the moment the two met it was an instant attraction and the two went to bed together. This happiness from Hercules angered Hera, who took the form of one of the Amazons, and made them believe Hercules was kidnapping their queen. He escaped buck naked, carrying the girdle and chased by the countless Amazons.
Hippolyta was eventually killed in a hunting accident by her sister Penthesileia. She soon grew in fear of her people's reproaches and was haunted by the Furies, who tormented those who killed their kin. Along twelve fellow Amazons (Clonié, Polemusa, Derinoè, Evandrè, Antandrè, Bremusa, Hippothoè, Harmothoè, Alcibiè, Derimacheia, Antibrotè and Thermodosa), Penthesilea came to Troy in order to cleanse her soul and help King Priam in the Trojan War.
Tricked by Athena (who favored Achilles of the Achaeans), Penthesileia led both her Amazons and the Trojans, galvanized by the warrior woman. Despite killing many warriors, the Amazons were all slain, Penthesilea falling last after facing Achiles.
- 20 Amazons (Earth-616) Members
- 15 Appearances of Amazons (Earth-616)
- 2 Minor Appearances of Amazons (Earth-616)
- 8 Media Amazons (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 8 Images that include Amazons (Earth-616)
- Organization Gallery: Amazons (Earth-616)
Links and References
- Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1
- Incredible Hercules #123
- King Conan #4
- Savage Sword of Conan #97; Leopard Men of Darfar
- Savage Sword of Conan #30; A Gazetteer of the Hyborian Age: Amazons' entry
- Savage Sword of Conan #62; The Temple of the Tiger
- Conan #10; Queen of the Amazons!
- Conan #11; Amazons!
- Incredible Hercules #122
- Trojan War #3
- Champions #1