The entity known as Hate-Monger (later as Animus) first appeared on a rooftop watching a riot between the reformed Sons of the Serpent, a radical hate group, and a band of demonstrators who were assembled outside the 41st Precinct Station House to protest the clubbing of Carmello Martinez. Martinez, a fifteen-year old boy, was violently beaten by police. The incident was videotaped by an alert bystander and given national media exposure.
The New Warriors attempted to break the riot up and Rage, then a member of the Avengers, also got involved. Although the New Warriors observed that this was more than just a race riot, they were unaware that Hate-Monger was actually subtly manipulating their actions.
Eventually, other Avengers showed up. Hate-Monger used his ability to read and control emotions to directly affect the battle. When the Sons of the Serpent pulled out in an attempt to cut their losses, Hate-Monger decided that the dance had played itself out and he went home to digest the hate he had consumed.
The two teams of heroes went their separate ways, but using separate techniques, ended up at the same hideout of the Sons of the Serpent. The Avengers got there first and took out the supremacy group in a suspiciously short period of time; however, Hate-Monger ambushed them, revealing that he didn't fuel the riot, but rather fed off it. The New Warriors and Rage arrived, freeing the Avengers. Ultimately, the teams decided not to give Hate-Monger the antipathy he desired, and thwarted, Hate-Monger fled into the night, robbed of his power.
Animus has displayed a variety of powers;
- Emotional manipulation
- Emotional enhancement and absorption
- Enhanced perceptions
Skilled orator, especially in promoting hatred and anger.
- 11 appearance(s) of Animus (Hate-Monger) (Earth-616)
- 3 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Animus (Hate-Monger) (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) of Animus (Hate-Monger) (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Animus (Hate-Monger) (Earth-616)
- 2 image(s) of Animus (Hate-Monger) (Earth-616)
- 1 quotation(s) by or about Animus (Hate-Monger) (Earth-616)
Links and References
- All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z #1 (January 2006)
- Unofficial Handbook of the Marvel Universe