During her battle with Iron Man, she mentioned that "Tuatara" is the name of the lizard she was bonded with since birth. Iron Man's encounter with Tuatara began when S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Black Widow recruited him, as Tony Stark, as "bait" to investigate the kidnappings of several prominent scientists. However, Stark was kidnapped while the Widow was distracted by a battle with Iron Hand Hauptmann, who had been sent by Count Nefaria to attack Stark.
Stark awoke in a well-hidden prison camp, where he first met Tepania in her human form. Tepania told Stark that he and the other scientists would build technical devices for her employer, or die. She also informed him that they knew of the Black Widow's involvement and had removed his tracking implant.
Stark, undeterred, used the components of the device he was building to send a new signal to the Black Widow and S.H.I.E.L.D. Stark and the Widow were making quick work of the guards until Tepania arrived and transformed into Tuatara. Stark donned the Iron Man armor brought by the Widow and engaged Tuatara. The battle seemed to be a stalemate, with Iron Man unable to seriously injure Tuatara and lacking confidence against her due to his time as her prisoner. The stalemate was broken when Iron Man blasted her with tight beam sonics. Tuatara screamed in pain, and Iron Man's confidence returned. Seeing that the battle was lost, Tuatara burrowed away into the ground after ordering the destruction of all the records of her employer's involvement.
Powers and Abilities
- Lizard Form: Tepania claims to have been bonded with a lizard since birth, giving her the power to grow to an extremely large lizard-like creature:
- Superhuman Strength: The vast size of Tepania's lizard form naturally gives vast strength on an unknown level. Iron Man has stated that Tepania could take on the Hulk.
- Superhuman Durability: Tepania's scaly hide allows her to withstand extreme forces like Iron Man's repulsor blasts with little to no harm suffered.
- Shapeshifting: Tepania can switch between her human form and lizard form. She hasn't shown the ability to transform into anything else.
Tepania is skilled in hand-to-hand combat, and she has bragged that she has great organizational skills.
Superhuman strength at an unknown level
Sonic Weakness: Tepania appears to be vulnerable to sonic weapons as Iron Man's sonic weapons was able to hurt her, despite his repulsor weapons doing nothing to her.
enemy of Iron Man
- A tuatara is a rare reptile that resembles a lizard found formerly in New Zealand but now regulated to a handful of islands. Tuatara are held sacred by the indigenous Maori tribe, which could explain the inspiration of Tepania's powers.
- 1 appearance(s) of Araoha Tepania (Earth-616)
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Araoha Tepania (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) of Araoha Tepania (Earth-616)
- 3 image(s) of Araoha Tepania (Earth-616)