- In the end, it was not your legendary fairy tale "goddess" who overthrew Apocalypse. It was a handful of living, breathing people who gave their all, so that others could reap the benefits of that struggle. But look at us! Another shadow looms over the world, one that may prove greater than Apocalypse himself! And how do we meet the challenge? By holding services at night and turning over all our food and earnings to support the Canaanites by day?
Appearing in "The Shadow Lengthens"
- Tetherblood (First appearance chronologically)
- Madame Sanctity (First appearance)
- Aliya (First appearance chronologically)
- New Canaanites
- Fossil (First appearance)
- Mother Askani (On-screen)
- Angel (On-screen)
- Bishop (On-screen)
- Colossus (On-screen)
- Cyclops (On-screen)
- Iceman (On-screen)
- Marvel Girl (On-screen)
- Shard (On-screen)
- Storm (On-screen)
- Wolverine (On-screen)
- Professor X (On-screen)
- Slym Dayspring (Referenced)
- Redd Dayspring (Referenced)
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "The Shadow Lengthens"
Years have passed since Nathan had battled and defeated Apocalypse. He is joined by Tetherblood in listening to a retelling of the past and how the X-Men were formed and then the final battle of Apocalypse. The storyteller, Fossil, says that Mother Askani defeated Apocalypse. At this miscommunication, Nathan stands up and calls Fossil out. After making this scene, 'Strator Umbridge finds Nathan and takes him and Tetherblood prisoner on her ship.
In New Orleans, Stryfe uses his powers on innocent bystanders while Ch'Vayre looks on. Stryfe is upset that his "kingdom" has not been rebuilt as he had planned since he is the sole heir to Apocalypse. Ch'Vayre can only look on in dismay and cannot understand what he has done in protecting Stryfe like this.
Meanwhile, Nathan and Tetherblood are taken to New Canaan. There 'Strator Umbridge is told to come to speak to Tribune Haight immediately. In the ships brig, Nathan meets Blaquesmith. He tells Nathan that he is there to help. He finds a small globe inside Nathan's body and this turns out to be the "Professor". He greets Nathan and then Blaquesmith goes unconscious. The guards enter and pick them up. 'Strator Umbridge meets with Haight, who tells her that she is to go and find the remaining two Askani's in Eurasia. He also talks of the Askani "messiah", who is Nathan. She thinks that sounds like the man she just put in the brig. She leaves to go investigate. Blaquesmith finally recovers and just in time to tell Nathan that he is in danger and that they need to escape. He distracts the guards and they shoot him, apparently killing him, though his body disappears. Tetherblood and Nathan jump to an escape pod and the "Professor" takes over and blasts off. 'Strator Umbridge watches as they escape. They plan to find the "last Askani".
Elsewhere, Stryfe and Ch'Vayre enter a part of the temple that houses a machine that creates ADAM units. Here he creates a unit designate, Zero. He announces that his prime directive is to resurrect the "High Lord". Stryfe smiles and says, "Now we can begin anew."
|Like this? Let us know!|