Appearing in "Gifted" (Part 1)
- Mr. and Mrs. Soames (Dream)
- Professor X (Charles Xavier) (Only in flashback)
- Peter Rasputin (Only in flashback)
- Xavier Institute students
- Jean Grey (Mentioned)
- Attendees of Walter Langford's Annual Fundraiser for the Preservation of Victorian Architecture
Races and Species:
- Deerfield (Mentioned)
- New York State
Synopsis for "Gifted" (Part 1)
Kitty Pryde arrives at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, her baggage denoting an indefinite return. Walking down the drive and through the foyer, she experiences flashbacks of her early years with the X-Men.
Arriving in the Danger Room for the orientation presentation, Kitty finds she is late. Emma Frost introduces the faculty, lays down some ground rules and triggers a holographic simulation of a Sentinel attack. Commenting on the 'lesson', she states, "they will always hate us." In the headmaster's office, Cyclops is upset with Emma's simulation. Emma responds that 10% of the students were excited about combat, and she thought he should know.
At dawn, Wolverine finds Scott and Emma together in bed and provokes Cyclops, who blasts him out to the front yard and they face off in front of the students. Later, the staff has a meeting in the Danger Room (sitting on holographic islands of Hawaii). Beast reprimands Logan and Scott for their behavior. Refusing to apologize, Scott realizes the absurdity, going on to say that the X-Men need to start presenting themselves more like a superhero team again, like the Avengers or the Fantastic Four. "Here come the tights," Logan retorts.
At the prestigious Chapman Building, Ord of the Breakworld and some hired mercenaries make hostages of the attendees of Walter Langford's Annual Fundraiser for the Preservation of Victorian Architecture.
Hearing about the situation on the news, the X-Men don their costumes and leave.
- The story arc that starts in this issue is one of the bases for "X-Men: The Last Stand".
- This issue is reprinted in Astonishing X-Men: Gifted #1.
- Upon her late arrival at the mass student orientation, Kitty Pryde remarks if she had "missed the Sorting Hat"—alluding to a similar scenario found in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter books.
- The "Gifted" story arc was adapted in a motion comic mini-series comprised of six episodes called Astonishing X-Men: Gifted. The mini-series was created by Marvel Knights Animation and released on iTunes in October 27, 2009, and by Shout! Factory on DVD in September 28, 2010.
- Although uncited, the flashbacks have when she arrives at Xavier Institute are from Uncanny X-Men #151, Uncanny X-Men #168 and Uncanny X-Men #143 in order.
- Not actually revealed until next issue.
|Like this? Let us know!|