- Then... Perhaps this was an alliance made in haste...
- -- Thor
Appearing in 1st story
- Ant-Man's Ants
- Captain America (Steve Rogers)
- Clint Barton
- Special Agent Murch (First appearance)
- Mia (News Anchor) (Appears on a computer screen, TV, or hologram only)
- Vinnie "Stinky" (First appearance)
- Sid (Barman) (First appearance)
- Ted Bails (First appearance)
- Howard Stark (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
- Iron Man Armor Model 1
- Iron Man Armor Model 1 (Gold finish)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Wasp's Suit
- Bio-Synthetic Wings
- Ant-Man's Helmet
- Ant-Man's Suit
- Deep-Sea Jet Bathyscaph
Synopsis for 1st story
Clint Barton watches TV as the media focus’ all of its attention on the news of five superpowered beings banding together as The Avengers. Iron Man presents the team with a copy of the team’s charter and their proposed by-laws. Stark takes the lead in setting the expectations for this group and that ruffles a few feathers especially the Hulk. This and other events spark several confrontations with the green-skinned Goliath. Iron Man meets with Special Agent Murch of the National Security Council and initiates discussion on a special priority status for the team. Iron Man clarifies the Hulk’s official standing following his departure from the team. During their search of the Atlantic Ocean the Avengers locate a frozen costumed body.
This is where the legend began! A bi-weekly look into the early, pivotal period of the Marvel Universe, when five fledgling heroes -- Iron Man, Thor, Giant-Man, The Wasp and The Hulk -- banded together to fight the foes no single hero could overcome! But how did the public react? How did the U.S. government react? Previously untold secrets surrounding the formation of the Avengers are revealed in this all-new series, just in time to sate fans whipped into a frenzy by the Avengers Disassembled event. Here, for the first time, don't miss a beat as five individuals must learn to work as a team, and forge a legend! FANTASTIC FOOTNOTE: AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES WILL SHIP BI-WEEKLY FOR ALL EIGHT ISSUES!
This eight issue limited series explores previously between and behind the scene events during the early days of The Avengers. Avengers:EMH #1 picks up after shortly after Avengers #1. Although Avengers:EMH #1 covers the period up to Avengers #4, none of the battles with Loki, SpacePhantom, or Sub-Mariner are directly depicted.
- Sequence I takes place shortly after Avengers #1.
- Sequence II (Hulk battles the Avengers astride a train) takes place in Avengers #3, Pg. 12.
New Information Contained in This Issue
- In this issue, Henry Pym is shown to have received a much more severe beating from the Hulk and Sub-Mariner in their battle in Avengers #3. (Although, the Sub-Mariner is never depicted or mentioned).
- In this issue, Henry Pym's insecurities and rage with his romantic partner Janet van Dyne are shown. Previously, these qualities were not manifested until his later breakdown in Avengers #59. Much later, Pym first shows uncontrollable rage previously to Janet in Avengers #161 and eventually once physically abused her on a later occasion Avengers #213.
- Although it has always been a logical assumption, in this issue, Iron Man is shown vouching for the Hulk's character to government officials to help the team become officially sanctioned. He regrets this action almost immediately when the Hulk goes on a rampage.
- In Avengers #280 the Hulk devours a hearty, meaty meal. In this issues' depiction of the Avengers charter meeting, only tea and crumpets are served.
- The Avengers first appeared in Avengers V1 #1 September 1963.
- Iron Man appears in both his bulky golden armor and an early version of his traditional red and gold uniform.
- Avengers #280 contains flashbacks, previously unseen to that date, to other post Avengers #1 events including the team’s first meeting with Jarvis and the drafting of the charter and by laws.
- FOOM issues 6 and 7 released 1974 containing an interview with Edwin Jarvis. This is the basis for the flashbacks in #280.
|Like this? Let us know!|