Appearing in "By Friends -- Betrayed!"
- 🢐 Carol Danvers 🢒 (Main story and flashback)
- Avengers (Main story and recap)
- 🢐 Jocasta 🢒
- 🢐 Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) 🢒
- Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
- Maddy Pryor (First appearance)
- Sgt. Golachinsky
- Sister Luke
- Lt. Bree Morrel
- 🢐 Captain America (Steve Rogers) 🢒 (Unconscious)
- Wasp (Jan van Dyne) (Only in recap)
- Yellowjacket (Hank Pym) (Only in recap)
- Marcus Immortus (Only in flashback) (Death)
- Nathaniel Richards (Immortus) (Referenced)
- Dinosaurs (Only in recap)
- Native Americans (Only in recap)
- Sir Cecil of Clampett (Only in recap)
- Mrs Arbogast
- United States Air Force (Mentioned)
- Woman Magazine (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Humans (Main story and recap)
- Human-Kree Hybrids (Main story and flashback)
- Asgardians (Main story and recap)
- Dinosaurs (Only in recap)
- United States (Main story and recap)
- New York State (Main story and recap)
- North Salem
- New York City (Main story and recap)
- Long Island
- Limbo (Only in flashback)
- Spider-Woman's Suit
- Wolverine's Suit
- Captain America's Shield
- Hawkeye's Suit, Bow and Trick Arrows (Main story and recap)
- Iron Man Armor Model 2 (Main story and recap)
- Mjolnir (Main story and recap)
- Ms. Marvel's Suit (Only in recap)
- Inhibitor Module
Synopsis for "By Friends -- Betrayed!"
The story opens in San Francisco as a human body falls from the Golden Gate Bridge, and Spider-Woman swoops in to rescue it. Jessica soon realizes that this was not a suicide attempt as the body was unconscious before it fell. Jessica is able to glide with the added weight for a while. When the wind dies, she and her passenger fall to the waters below. Jessica has to swim to the shore, carrying an unconscious woman with her. Three hours later, the sun rises over San Francisco.
Lt. Bree Morrel arrives at a hospital to meet a waiting Spider-Woman. Jessica drinks hot beverages and waits for news from the woman she rescued. A female doctor reports that "Jane Doe"'s body is in superb shape, but her mind seems to be nonexistent, functioning at the level of a newborn infant. The doctor theorizes that "Jane Doe" has been held in a mental hospital since childhood. Bree denies this idea as she has managed to identify the "Jane Doe" by using her fingerprints. The woman, Carol Susan Jane Danvers, 29-years-old, is a retired Major of the United States Air Force. She was also chief of security at the Kennedy Space Center, and former editor of Woman Magazine. Her Air Force file is classified, but Sabrina was told that Carol was one of the best people they had. Topnotch pilot, fluent in three languages, and expert in armed and unarmed combat. Carol is single and her last known residence was in Greenwich Village. She disappeared six months before her apparent "suicide".
Bree has also found out that Carol had been stripped of all identification. Even her clothes were stripped of their labels. This means that her assailant wanted to make Carol as anonymous and untraceable as possible. Bree thinks that they would need Carol's help to find the assailant. The doctor comments that they can not get inside her skull to determine the type and severity of the damage. Jessica gets the idea to contact Professor X, a man who has this ability.
At Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Jessica's phone call is received by Kitty Pryde. Kitty explains that the Professor is in the Danger Room, and she phases into the Danger Room to call him. Nightcrawler teleports into the Danger Room to make minor adjustments to a massive device. The device is held up on the air by Colossus. Piotr is frustrated because he has been holding the device for several hours. Kitty blames herself for all the damage in the School, due to her fight with a demon.Template:X-Men Vol 1 143 Storm reminds her that she survived this battle, and this is the only thing that matters. Machines can be replaced, while the people you love can not.
Professor X talks to Jessica and agrees to travel to San Francisco. Meanwhile, Nightcrawler prepares to try something with the device, though Wolverine expresses doubts that Kurt knows what he is doing. A device explodes and almost injures Kitty, so she and Kurt decide to redraw their plans.
Meanwhile, the Avengers are being singled out and attacked by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, who are seeking to destroy the Avengers. Their assault is at first a success thanks to Mystique and Rogue taking out the most powerful of the Avengers. However, working together, the Avengers manage to defeat and capture the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
Learning that Carol Danvers has been recovering at the X-Mansion, the Avengers pay her a visit, having lost track of her following their last battle with Immortus. When they trivialize the reality of her forced relationship with Immortus' son Marcus, Carol rejects the Avengers and decides to stay with the X-Men. The Avengers, respecting her wishes, bid her farewell.
- The reprint with the Terry Dodson cover was issued in November of 2005.
- The back story where Ms. Marvel's memories were erased by Rogue was originally slated to appear in the pages of Ms. Marvel, however the series was canceled with issue Ms. Marvel #23. Issue 25 was slated to feature the Rogue storyline, however it was not complete and did not see publication until 1992 when it was featured (and completed) in Marvel Super-Heroes (Vol. 2) #10.
- Following this issue, Carol Danvers would become a regular character appearing in the pages of Uncanny X-Men.
- Carol Danvers last appeared in Avengers #200, which is partially recapped in this issue.
- Though similarly named and featuring a head of red hair, the Maddy Pryor appearing here bears no relation to the more infamous Madelyne Pryor.
- The Danger Room is undergoing repairs in this issue. It was damaged during a fight between Kitty Pryde and one of the N'Garai. The fight took place in Uncanny X-Men #143.
- An alternate reality story for this issue is shown in What If...? #66.