Appearing in "Holocaust"
- Sunfire (Shiro Yoshida)
- Bolivian castle's unnamed owner (Only appearance; dies)
- Loki Laufeyson
- Avengers (Main story and recap)
- Defenders (Main story and recap)
- Umar (Invoked)
- Odin (Referenced)
- Nazis (Mentioned)
- Mandarin (Mentioned)
- Good Lord (Yahweh) (Invoked)
- Bolivian National Police Corps (First appearance)
- Numerous unnamed Japanese citizens
- U.S. Government (Mentioned)
- Byrrah (Mentioned)
- Leonard McKenzie (Mentioned)
- Neptune (Invoked)
- Black Knight (Dane Whitman) (In statue form in recap)
- Enchantress (Amora) (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Frost Giants
- Humans (Main story and recap)
- Zenn-Lavians (Recap)
- Synthezoids (Recap)
- Valkyrior Steeds
- Pigeons (Referenced)
- Rats (Mentioned)
- Atlantean-Human Hybrids
- Fish (Mentioned)
- Earth (Main story and recap)
- United States (Recap)
- South America
- Unnamed castle (First appearance)
- Seven Secret Seas (Mentioned)
- Dark Dimension
- Evil Eye (Main story and recap)
- Scarlet Witch's Suit (Recap)
- Iron Man Armor Model 3 (Recap)
- Hawkeye's Suit Hawkeye's Bow and Trick Arrows (Recap)
- Panther Habit (Recap)
- Ebony Blade
- Swordsman's Sword
- Captain America's Uniform and Captain America's Shield
- Sunfire's Suit
- World War II (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "Holocaust"
Dormammu discovers that the Avengers are trying to stop the Defenders from getting all the pieces of the Evil Eye. Loki convinces him that he has no idea why they are doing this. The Swordsman and Valkyrie end up in a castle in the jungles of Bolivia, battling over their piece of the Evil Eye. The castle's owner attacks the Swordsman, which allows Valkyrie to escape with the item. Captain America and Namor fight over their piece of the Evil Eye in Japan, however, they are interrupted by Sunfire, who takes the fragment for himself. Cap and Namor team up to retrieve it, and Cap realizes that Loki may have been tricking the Avengers all along.
Viewing from the Dark Dimension, Loki and Dormammu watch the battle raging between the Avengers and the Defenders over the fragments of the Evil Eye. Dormammu is furious over the Avengers' interference and Loki plays dumb, not wanting Dormammu to learn that it was he who tipped the Avengers off to a version of Dormammu's plot.
The blind Loki once again asks Dormammu to help him regain his sight, but the current skirmishes between the two groups of heroes prove too much of a distraction.
Chapter 7: Swordsman vs the Valkyrie
Arriving in Bolivia to seek out the next fragment of the Evil Eye, the Swordsman spots a castle that has been built in the middle of the jungle. Before he can investigate further, he is attacked by Valkyrie and is forced to make an emergency landing of his Quinjet. She disappears as quickly as she came, and Swordsman continues to the castle where he believes she is hiding.
Upon arriving, he meets the castle's owner, and warns him that his abode might have an unwelcome visitor within its walls. The owner doubts that this is true, however, as they walk through the castle they hear strange noises. Rushing to the treasure room, Swordsman finds Valkyrie and the two end up battling. During the scuffle, they find the piece of the Evil Eye which the Swordsman is able to secure.
The castle's owner, however, shoots him from behind before he can leave with the item. He doesn't want anyone to know about the vast Nazi treasures that are kept inside these walls. As the Swordsman passes out, he stabs his assailant with his sword in revenge.
Valkyrie makes sure the Swordsman's wounds are not life-threatening and then takes the Evil Eye fragment. She leaves just as the local authorities arrive on the scene.
Chapter 8: Captain America vs. Sub-Mariner
Arriving in Japan to collect his fragment of the Evil Eye, Captain America finds that his presence is unwelcome by the locals who harbor anto-American sentiment. He also quickly finds that the Sub-Mariner has already beaten him to finding the fragment. The two end up fighting over who is more worthy to possess it.
During the battle, they attract the attention of the Japanese mutant super-hero known as Sunfire who takes the fragment from them. Namor attempts to follow him, but is stopped by Captain America. Cap swears that he'll never let the Defenders succeed in taking over the universe. Namor corrects Cap, by revealing to him that they need the Evil Eye to save the Black Knight's life. Confused by this revelation, Namor is able to free himself from Cap and pursue Sunfire.
The Sub-Mariner catches up with Sunfire and knocks the Evil Eye fragment out of his hands. It is caught by Captain America who makes a truce with Namor and the two leave together with their fragment of the Evil Eye.
- The injury Swordsman sustains in this issue becomes infected in Avengers #120. He finally recovers in #125.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story Number 1642 Z.
- Frank McLaughlin is uncredited for inking pages 11 to 19.
- Gaspar Saladino is uncredited for lettering pages 1 and 3.
- This issue features a letters page, Avengers Assemble! Letters are published from Brian E. Cook, K.J. Robbins, and Ms. S. Otis.
The story references:
- Avengers Annual #1 - The Swordsman's past confrontation with the Avengers
- Avengers #4 - Last time Captain America battled the Sub-Mariner
- Sub-Mariner #54 - Sunfire's previous appearance
- Defenders #4 - Black Knight gets turned into stone
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|