Appearing in "Four Against the Minotaur!"
- Iron Man (Tony Stark) (Mentioned)
- Thor (Odinson) (Mentioned)
- Giant-Man (Hank Pym) (Mentioned)
- Robin Hood (Mentioned)
- Unnamed newscaster
- Hulk (Bruce Banner) (Main story and recap)
- Leader (Main story and recap)
- Magneto (Mentioned)
- United States Army (Cameo)
- United States Air Force (Cameo)
- Major Glenn Talbot (Cameo)
Races and Species:
- Humans (Main story and recap)
- Panthers (Mentioned)
- Minotaurs (Mentioned)
- Earth (Main story and recap)
- Jet-Stream Cruiser (First appearance)
- World War II (Referenced)
Synopsis for "Four Against the Minotaur!"
The new team is uncertain about the future. Rick Jones is upset that three "Johnny come lately" heroes have already been made official Avengers while he is still just Cap's sidekick. The cocky Hawkeye takes a dim view of some old "Methuselah" (Cap) leading the team and suggests they vote on who should be leader. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch both support Cap as leader.
Before heading out on a mission to locate the Hulk (whom Cap wants to convince to rejoin the team), Cap leads the new team in a training session in the Mansion's underground combat simulation room. In the middle of the training session, a robot breaks in. After disabling it, it informs them that the Hulk is in the desert.
The robot was sent by the Mole Man, and the Avengers are lured to his subterranean underworld and into his trap. Coincidentally though, the Hulk IS indeed nearby although in the midst of combating his adversary the Leader.
The Avengers are attacked by the Minotaur, a creature belonging to the Mole Man. Quicksilver is separated from the team and captured by the Moloids. The three remaining Avengers trap the Minotaur and then search for Quicksilver. Upon freeing him, the team escape the Mole Man's underground caverns. Captain America says that he's convinced the new team were effective enough without the big green giant -- they don't need the Hulk on the team.
Elsewhere, it appears that Bruce Banner (following the end of the Hulk's battle with the Leader) has died.
- Captain America, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were all last seen in Avengers #16 where the latter three joined the team to replace the original members who took a leave of absence.
- While there is a Captain America story in Tales of Suspense #66, it is a flashback tale from World War II.
- The events in this issue happen simultaneously with the Hulk story in Tales to Astonish #69, where the Hulk battles the Leader. All the panels dealing with the subplot involving the Hulk battling the leader originate from this issue.
- Mole Man last battled the Avengers back in Avengers #12.
- Each of the Avengers are next seen in Avengers #18 battling the Commissar, the Captain America story in Tales of Suspense #67 is another flashback story.
- After the Mole Man's defeat, he is next seen in Fantastic Four Annual #3 where he is manipulated by Dr. Doom into crashing the wedding of Reed Richards and Sue Storm.
- Rick Jones does not accompany the Avengers on their mission, but instead ends up finding the Hulk in Tales to Astonish #69.
- The Hulk, Rick and the Leader are next seen in Tales to Astonish #70.
- references: Tales to Astonish #69 and Avengers #5