- Hey, Avengers? Where's the cake and brass band, huh? Hawkeye's back!
- -- Hawkeye
Appearing in "Holocaust in New York Harbor!"
- Beast (Hank McCoy)
- Black Panther (T'Challa) (Joins team)
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton) (Joins team)
- Moondragon (Heather Douglas) (Joins team)
- Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) (Joins team)
- Yellowjacket (Henry Pym)
- Wasp (Janet van Dyne)
- Iron Man (Tony Stark)
- Captain America (Steve Rogers)
- Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)
- Wonder Man (Simon Williams)
- Two-Gun Kid (Matt Hawk) (Joins team)
- Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
- National Security Council
- Crystal (Crystalia Amaquelin)
- Edwin Jarvis
- Ultron (Corpse)
- Sister Jude (First appearance)
- Attuma (Mentioned)
- Hercules (Mentioned)
- Whizzer (Robert Frank) (Mentioned)
- Living Monolith (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Human-Kree Hybrids
- Kree (Mentioned)
- Unrevealed alien race
- New York City
- Jamaica Bay (Mentioned)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Iron Man Armor MK IV
- Hawkeye's Suit
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Ms. Marvel's Suit
- Yellowjacket's Suit
- Wasp's Suit
- Panther Habit
Synopsis for "Holocaust in New York Harbor!"
Hawkeye returns to Avengers Mansion to discover no one is home! Cautiously entering to look around, he leaves the door open. Agent Henry Gyrich chooses that moment to stop by and becomes infuriated at seeing the front door ajar.
At the convent, the Avengers and Ms. Marvel stand over the fallen body of Ultron. Jocasta and Captain America have disappeared with no explanation. Perplexed, the team return to the mansion and Ms. Marvel accompanies them. There, they find Hawkeye and discover that he captured an "intruder": Gyrich. Freed by the Vision, Gyrich angrily revokes the team's security clearances and strips them of their special privileges.
Shortly after Gyrich leaves, Crystal calls to tell them that Pietro has vanished! Jarvis returns from jogging to relate that their old foe Tyrak is attacking the harbor. Iron Man divides the Avengers into task forces He sees the Vision, Scarlet Witch, Wonder Man, Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel to the harbor; Wasp and Yellowjacket to the phones to call in any and all former Avengers they can get a hold of; and Thor and Beast to be a backup team. He heads to the lab to investigate the disappearances.
Arriving in the harbor, the Avengers find Tyrak assaulting a ship. Wanda and Hawkeye get deposited on a Coast Guard Cutter . The heroes beat Tyrak when Vision uses his solar beams to dehydrate him. But without their priority clearances to request a special prison transport to pick up their defeated foe, they have no choice but to throw him back into the ocean. After a bit of flirting with Wonder Man, Ms. Marvel leaves. The Avengers begin walking home when the Vision suddenly disappears.
Back at Avengers Mansion, Yellowjacket and Wasp have managed to contact Black Panther, Hercules, the Whizzer and Captain Marvel (Wasp notes that Mar-Vell called them). However, the Beast has taken a quinjet! while Thor is out in Jamaica Bay fighting the Living Monolith. 
The conversation is being monitored by a shadowy figure from a far-away location. This unseen villain is shown to have all the kidnapped Avengers (as well as Moondragon, who hadn't been shown to be kidnapped) in suspended animation tubes.
- Letters (story pages): Saladino (uncredited) page 1, Wohl pages 2-17.
- This issue contains a letters page, Avengers Assemble". Letters are published from Gerald Speviel, Tim Lukeman, William Nutt, Michale Glover, Ken Rhodes, and Carl Faby.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story# C-798.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books. See references for more info.
- Following this appearance with the team early in this issue, the Beast appears gets a phone call from Lorna Dane in Marvel Team-Up #69 and leaves to rescue the X-Men in Uncanny X-Men #111. He would remain with the team through Uncanny X-Men #114, returning to the Avengers with issue #178.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 172 on the forums
- 2 Images from Avengers Vol 1 172
- 3 Reprints of Avengers Vol 1 172
- ↑ The comic tells you Quicksilver's disappearance happened in Avengers 171, but it actually happened in Avengers 170! (Bullpen was napping!)
- ↑ While depositing Wanda, Wonder Man comments on Ms. Marvel's aggressive behavior with the approving comment "...like a man would!". It's chauvinism at its finest... sigh.
- ↑ see Marvel Team-Up 69 and Uncanny X-Men 111
- ↑ see Marvel Team-Up 70
- ↑ This issue is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's: Avengers: The Korvac Saga #1
|Like this? Let us know!|