Appearing in "The Coming of... The Swordsman!"
- Swordsman (Jacques Duquesne) (First appearance)
- HYDRA Agents
- Blackie (First appearance) and other unnamed gangsters
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Swordsman's Sword (First appearance)
- Gamma Lens
- Tracer Beam
Synopsis for "The Coming of... The Swordsman!"
The Swordsman infiltrates the Avenger's base and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver attack him. He then admits he was testing them and wants to apply for membership.
Captain America intervenes, saying the Swordsman is a wanted man. He escapes, however. Hawkeye explains that the Swordsman used to be his tutor when he was in the circus.
Meanwhile, in Nick Fury's office in Washington D.C., HYDRA agents find a letter from Captain America, explaining how Captain America wanted to work for S.H.I.E.L.D. They discard it as trash. A mobster finds it and gives it to the Swordsman.
A trap is laid for Captain America. He leaves the Mansion, thinking he is going to meet with Nick Fury. Hawkeye finds out about the plan and gathers the other Avengers to help him.
Captain America battles the Swordsman and gets captured before the others can arrive to help. The Swordsman then holds him captive on a scaffolding, threatening to hurl Cap to his death if the other Avengers interfere. But Captain America jumps off the scaffolding so the Avengers don't have to surrender.
- All the Avengers appeared last in Avengers #18 where they battled the Commissar.
- A brief origin of the Swordsman and Hawkeye is given in this issue.
- Although there is a Captain America story in Tales of Suspense #68, it is a flashback story from World War II.
- This is the first appearance of the original Swordsman.
- Hydra's last appearance, as well as the recount of events involving Nick Fury joining SHIELD and his battles against HYDRA, occurred in Strange Tales #135 and 136.
- The letter the Hydra agents find was the same one that Captain America mailed to Nick Fury back in Avengers #15.
- Hydra is next seen in Strange Tales #137.
- The Avengers and the Swordsman are seen next in Avengers #20.
- The Swordsman's Sword is a normal weapon this issue. Next issue, the Mandarin will transform it with his alien technology to emit numberous rays and projectiles.
- If you like this swashbuckling fantasy thriller as much as we expect you to, the credit goes to:
- Stan Lee, Writer
- Don Heck, Artist
- Dick Ayers, Inker
- But if you're iconoclastic enough not to like it, we'll try to pin the blame on poor, innocent Artie Simek, Letterer
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 19 on the forums
- Images from Avengers Vol 1 19
|Like this? Let us know!|