Appearing in "Vengeance Is Ours!"
- Iron Man (Illusion)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Mandarin's Rings
- Swordsman's Sword
- Iron Man Armor MK III (Illusion)
Synopsis for "Vengeance Is Ours!"
This story is continued from last issue.
After jumping from the scaffolding last issue, the Avengers have very little time to rescue Captain America. But with quick thinking, they manage it. The Swordsman is outraged and attacks them. During the battle, he mysteriously vanishes.
When he awakens, the Swordsman is in the lair of the Mandarin, who allies himself with the Swordsman and gives him a more powerful sword. He then creates an image of Iron Man which he sends to the Avengers, vouching for the Swordsman's membership. Deceived by the image, the Avengers accept him onto the team.
Once in Avengers Mansion, he plants bombs to destroy them. Later, however, he has a change of heart and tries to remove the bombs but is caught by Captain America, who believes he is attaching them. After a brief battle the Swordsman escapes again. The Swordsman regrets having botched his chance to join such a team of noble heroes.
Fans everywhere are talking about the unexpected drama, the powerful appeal of this newest Marvel fighting groups! You too will gape in wonder at what befalls the Swordsman!
- This story continues where Avengers #19 left off. All the Avengers and the Swordsman were last seen in that issue.
- While there is a Captain America story in Tales of Suspense #69, it is a flashback tale from World War II.
- The Mandarin was last seen in Tales of Suspense #62 where he battled Iron Man.
- Iron Man's battle against the Titanium Man (which Cap mentioned) occurred in Tales of Suspense #70.
- During the time that the Swordsman is with the Mandarin, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch all appear briefly in Journey into Mystery #120 where Thor meets them and learns of the change in the Avengers' membership.
- The Avengers are all seen next in Fantastic Four Annual #3, where they attend the wedding of Reed Richards and Sue Storm. They and a number of New York's other super beings fight off an army of villains manipulated by Dr. Doom into crashing the wedding.
- The Mandarin also next appears in Fantastic Four Annual #3. He is one of the many villains manipulated by Dr. Doom into crashing the Richards' wedding.
- The Swordsman is next seen in Avengers #29 when he teams up with Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff) and Power Man (Erik Josten) to battle the Avengers. He briefly joins the Avengers for this issue, but will return to his life of crime. He will rejoin the Avengers in Avengers #100 briefly and then again in Avengers #114 where he will serve with the team until his death Giant-Size Avengers #2
- Wham-Type Script by Stan Lee
- Pow-Type Pencilling by Don Heck
- Zowie-Type Inking by Wallace Wood
- Rather Nice Lettering by Artie Simek
- references: Tales of Suspense #70
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 20 on the forums
- Images from Avengers Vol 1 20
|Like this? Let us know!|