Appearing in "Up From the Depths!"
- 🢐 Beast (Hank McCoy) 🢒
- 🢐 Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) 🢒
- 🢐 Wonder Man (Simon Williams) 🢒
- 🢐 Vision (Victor Shade) 🢒
- National Security Council
- Edwin Jarvis
- Ultron (Mentioned)
- Ronald Reagan
- Stark International
- Thanos (Mentioned)
- Devil (Invoked)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
- Titan, Saturn, Sol (Mentioned)
- London, England, Europe (Referenced)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain Marvel's Suit
- Hawkeye's Bow and Trick Arrows
- Iron Man Armor Model 4
- Bio-Synthetic Wings
Synopsis for "Up From the Depths!"
After attending a memorial service for Jocasta, recently destroyed battling Ultron, the Avengers are stunned when the long-absent Iron Man telephones and formally quits the group. Elsewhere, at a S.H.I.E.L.D. base on the Chesapeake Bay, Nick Fury and President Ronald Reagan are taken prisoner by doubles who have replaced the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents assigned to the installation. The Avengers are called in and swiftly attack the base, where they discover that the ersatz agents are wooden facsimiles created by the Plantman. Having rescued the prisoners, they must then combat a towering plant-humanoid which has emerged from the bay. Thor, She-Hulk, and Captain Marvel are slowly wearing down their titanic foe when the Avengers' old ally, Eros of Titan, arrives to administer the final blow. Their mission concluded, the Avengers are taken by surprise when Eros boldly declares that he has come to Earth to join their ranks.
- A funeral is held for the recently "deceased" Jocasta.
- The Avengers meeting scene continues from the end of Iron Man #170. James Rhodes, substituting for Tony Stark as Iron Man since Iron Man #169, resigns from the team because he is busy learning how to operate the Iron Man armor.
- There are mutual misunderstandings during Rhodes's phone call to Avengers Mansion. He describes himself as Iron Man, but as an employee of Tony Stark. This is consistent with how Stark has described to the world the person in the Iron Man armor: An unnamed Stark International employee who serves as his bodyguard as well as Avengers member.
- Rhodes does not know, however, that all of the Avengers who speak to him on the phone know that Iron Man is Stark himself; Captain America and Thor learned in Avengers #216, and Wasp in Avengers #224.
- They, in turn, are mystified by an unknown person, describing himself as Iron Man (who, as Iron Man #170 shows, knows the Avengers priority phone number and uses the armor's voice system) but who is not Stark, resigning from the team without explanation.
- The confusion is resolved in Avengers #232.
- Starfox requests membership in the Avengers.