Appearing in "The Voice of the Wasp!"
- Attuma's Barbarian Horde
- The Beetle (Abner Jenkins) (Shadow only) (Cameo) (Controlled by Collector)
- William Tell (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Iron Man (Tony Stark) (Mentioned)
- Mr. Novak (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Thor (Odinson) (Mentioned)
- Namor the Sub-Mariner
- Genghis Khan (Temujin) (Referenced)
- Dr. Doom (Victor von Doom) (Mentioned)
- Gloria (First appearance)
- Shirl (First appearance)
- Numerous unnamed club attendees and personnel
- James Bond (Mentioned)
- Devil (Invoked)
- Collector (First appearance; behind the scenes)
Races and Species:
- Atlantean-Human Hybrids
- Insects (Referenced)
- Fleas (Mentioned)
- Water Gods (Mentioned)
- Fish (Mentioned)
- Sharks (Mentioned)
- Prime Marvel Universe
- Quicksilver's Suit
- Scarlet Witch's Suit
- Hawkeye's Suit, Bow and Trick Arrows
- Captain America's Uniform and Shield
- Wasp's Suit and Wings
- Tidal-Expander (First appearance)
- Sleep Gun
- Subliminal recall-inducer
- Beetle Armor MK I (Shadow only) (Cameo)
- Obedience Potion (First appearance; behind the scenes)
Synopsis for "The Voice of the Wasp!"
Captain America shows everyone the new system for receiving secret messages, but Hawkeye doesn't pay attention.
Meanwhile, on the ocean Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are doing research and spot the Sub-Mariner heading for New York. The Wasp flies away to warn everyone that the Sub-Mariner may pose a threat. On the way she is captured by Attuma.
Attuma brags that he has created a Wave Machine that will flood the whole of the surface world. Wasp manages to send a mayday to the Avengers. The Avengers go to help her without Hawkeye, who isn't present.
Captain America, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch battle Attuma's forces but are ultimately captured. Hawkeye returns to the mansion and tries to check his messages but can't remember how to work it. He decides to use one of Tony Stark's inventions: the "subliminal recall inducer" to remember. However, as he uses the machine, an unknown villain approaches him silently...
- Captain America was last seen in Tales of Suspense #76 where he fought Batroc the Leaper.
- Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were all last seen in Tales of Suspense #72.
- Giant-Man and the Wasp's appearance in this issue of the Avengers happens during the events of Tales to Astonish #78, where they got caught up in a plot by the Puppet Master to control the Sub-Mariner. The Sub-Mariner attacked their cruise ship before heading to New York.
- Attuma was last seen in Fantastic Four Annual #3. He was one of the many villains manipulated by Dr. Doom into crashing the Richards' wedding.
- The Wasp recounts her last encounter with Attuma back in Tales to Astonish #64, where she battled the Atlantian warlord with the help of Giant-Man.
- The Scarlet Witch mentions their battle with Dr. Doom which happened in Avengers #25.
- As next issue is a direct continuation of this one, Attuma, Captain America, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are all seen next issue in Avengers #27.
- The Wasp and Giant-Man aren't seen again until Avengers #28.
- In this issue, the Wasp's secret identity as Janet Van Dyne is revealed to the Avengers.
- References: Tales to Astonish #78, Tales to Astonish #64, and Avengers #25
- In the issue, the Wasp technically becomes the first former Avenger to return to the team, even though her actual interaction with the current roster of Avengers is very limited. Although Hank Pym does appear in this story, he does not appear as Giant-Man and does not actively combat Attuma.
|Like this? Let us know!|