Appearing in "The Sign of the Serpent!"
- Black Widow (Natasha)
- Bill Foster (First appearance)
- Scarlet Witch (Wanda)
- Quicksilver (Pietro)
- Nick Fury
- Numerous unnamed S.H.I.E.L.D. agents
- Sons of the Serpent (First appearance)
- Supreme Serpent / General Tai Chen (First appearance)
- Numerous unnamed members
- Mr. Gonzales (First appearance)
- Henry and his wife (First appearance)
- Adam (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Eve (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Iron Man (Tony Stark)
- Charles Proteus Steinmetz (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Unnamed doctor
- A.I.M. (Mentioned)
- The District Attorney
Races and Species:
- United States of America
- Garden of Eden (Mentioned)
- Atlantic Ocean (Referenced)
- Asia (Mentioned)
- Goliath's Suit
- Captain America's Uniform and Shield
- Hawkeye's Suit, Bow and Trick Arrows
- Wasp's Suit
- Mona Lisa (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
- Serpent Staff (First appearance)
- Black Widow's Suit and Gauntlets
- Bio-Synthetic Wings
- Sons of the Serpent's helicopter
- Sons of the Serpent's Air Shuttle
- Christmas (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "The Sign of the Serpent!"
Captain America encourages Goliath to keep looking for a solution to his size-changing dilemma. Goliath finds a new assistant, Bill Foster.
The Sons of the Serpent attack foreign people, including General Chen, the dictator of a communist country, while he visits the United Nations.
The Black Widow provides information to Hawkeye to prove herself to him.
Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch discover they will regain their full powers.
Bill Foster, an African-American, gets attacked by the Sons of the Serpent. Captain America goes to Nick Fury for more information about this new villainous group and the Avengers vow to defeat them. But Captain America is kidnapped and the Avengers are warned that he will be killed if they oppose them. They have no option but to refuse to fight against the Sons of the Serpent.
- Captain America, Hawkeye, Goliath, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were all seen last issue in Avengers 31
- This marks the first appearance of the racist group Sons of the Serpent. They appear again in next month's issue Avengers 33.
- This also marks the first appearance of Bill Foster, who would eventually become a size-changing hero also named Goliath. He also appears next issue.
- Black Widow makes an appearance after her last one in Avengers 30 when she was brainwashed by Communists to fight the Avengers with the aid of Swordsman and Power Man. We see her next in Avengers 33.
- When Cap goes to the barber shop that is a front for a secret S.H.I.E.L.D. base, the business card he hands the barber was acquired during a previous encounter with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury following the events of Tales of Suspense 78.
- Nick Fury was last seen Strange Tales 149, he'll be seen again in Strange Tales 150. Fury mentions that he was planning on tackling the Sons of the Serpent after he dealt with AIM (Advanced Idea Mechanics), whom S.H.I.E.L.D. had been butting heads with since Strange Tales 146 through Strange Tales 149.
- Tony Stark (a.k.a. Iron Man)'s brief appearance in this issue happens after Tales of Suspense 86, he's next seen in Amazing Spider-Man Annual 3 where the original Avengers reunite to consider Spider-Man for membership in the Avengers.
- It's hard to believe that Jan can grow her hair by the time she finds out where Goliath is and go there, then cut it again on the plane trip back.
- Roy Thomas says that the reason Bill Foster's skin tone was similar to Gabe Jones of the Howling Commandos was that brown was a little harder to make (a certain combination of red, blue, and yellow), and even more complicated to do it panel after panel after panel (not like a tree, where as a person it could be offensive).
- Dr. Pym and Bill Foster both discuss a molecular theory proposed by a scientist named Von Steinholz. This person is fictitious and no such scientist exists.
|Like this? Let us know!|