- I didn't know there was a contest goin' on! But we should'a guessed it! Seems like everybody's tryin' to conquer the universe these days!
- -- Hawkeye
Appearing in "To Conquer a Colossus!"
- Numerous unnamed Ultroids (Main story and flashback)
- Ixar The Invincible (Main story and flashback) (Origin revealed)
Races and Species:
- Ultroids (Main story and flashback)
- Sirians (Main story and flashback)
- Androids (Referenced)
- Gorillas (Mentioned)
- Bugs (Mentioned)
- Prime Marvel Universe (Main story and flashback)
- Black Widow's Suit and Gauntlets
- Captain America's Uniform and Shield
- Goliath's Suit
- Hawkeye's Suit, Bow and Trick Arrows
- Scarlet Witch's Suit
- Quicksilver's Suit
- Wasp's Suit and Wings
- Ixar's spaceship (Main story and flashback)
- Christman (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "To Conquer a Colossus!"
(Story continues from last issue) The Avengers have been captured by the Ultroids. Since the Black Widow is not an Avenger, she is being taken away to be destroyed.
The Ultroid's spaceship takes off. Goliath changes size to escape and sets the rest of the Avengers free. They fight the Ultroids to a stalemate. But they stop short of defeating them since, if they go any further, Ixar will kill the burgomeister of the village.
Ixar absorbs the power of all the Ultroids, giving himself a colossal-size body. The Avengers attack but are all defeated except for Hawkeye and the Black Widow. They theorized that Ixar is somehow connected to the burgomeister. Acting on this hunch, they threaten to kill him. Ixar speculates that Hawkeye cannot carry out that threat as he is bound by Avenger's moral code which forbides them from taking life. The Black Widow, however, reminds Ixar that she is not an Avenger. Realizing she can carry out this threat, Ixar is forced to release all the Avengers.
- Quicksilver and the real Scarlet Witch have already been abducted by Ixar before the Avengers arrived last issue. They officially rejoin the team in this issue. (The Scarlet Witch from last issue was actually the Ultroid spy, Ultrana.)
- Although the Black Widow has been proposed for membership and assists the team on this adventure, she will not officially join the team until Avengers #111.
- Here's a link to the rejected Don Heck cover for this issue:  (And if you don't like that one, check out the Jack Kirby version for the reprinted story from Marvel Triple Action #29!). It is interesting that the published cover seems to simply invert the situation. Instead of seeing the villain's front and the Avenger's backs, Kane shows us the reverse.
- Bigley, Al (January 13, 2010). Unpublished AVENGERS 37 Cover! Don Heck! Gil Kane! Marvel!. Archived from the original on October 14, 2011. Retrieved on April 25, 2021.
|Like this? Let us know!|