Appearing in "Death Be Not Proud!"
- Captain America (Steve Rogers) (Main story and flashback)
- Bucky (James Barnes) (Only in flashback)
- Baron Zemo (Heinrich Zemo) (Only in flashback)
- Red Skull (Johann Shmidt) (Mentioned)
- Adolf Hitler (Mentioned)
- Zemo's Androids
- Scarlet Centurion
Races and Species:
- Humans (Main story and flashback)
- Drone plane
- Military jeep
- Zemo's V-2 buggy
Synopsis for "Death Be Not Proud!"
The Avengers meet Captain America in an old castle. Inside they find Doctor Doom's Time Machine. The Wasp stays behind to operate it and the rest of the Avengers go back in time to Bucky's death in order to see if he actually survives. They appear in the past in spirit forms, unable to do anything but watch.
They see Baron Zemo with a humanoid he created. Captain America and Bucky smash through the window and attack. They are beaten and strapped to a bomb.
Meanwhile the Wasp falls asleep in the future, causing the Avengers to appear in a solid form in the past. They battle Zemo and the Humanoids for a while, and Captain America severs the bonds holding the past Captain America and Bucky. The Wasp then awakes and the Avengers turn into spirit form again.
The old Captain America and Bucky try and stop the V2 from launching, but just as Captain America remembers, he slips and Bucky dies destroying it. They then return to the future.
- In this issue the Avengers meet at Doctor Doom's castle to use his Time Platform, which previously appeared in Fantastic Four #23. However in that issue the Time Platform had been relocated to the Baxter Building. This continuity issue was later clarified in Fantastic Four Annual #11 - the Time Platform from Fantastic Four #23 was a duplicate built by Mr Fantastic whereas the original Time Platform remained in Doom's castle.
- Cover art: pencils by Buscema, inks by Giacoia and Klein, modifications by Romita.
- This story continues in Avengers Annual 2.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 56 on the forums
- Images from Avengers Vol 1 56
|Like this? Let us know!|