- We run around, calling ourselves Avengers... yet, when this man comes before us with something to avenge -- a wrong that shrieks to heaven for vengeance -- we turn a deaf ear -- because his cause isn't world-shattering enough for us! We forget that the world can end with a whimper -- as well as with a bang!
Appearing in "The Coming of Red Wolf!"
- Red Wolf (William Talltrees) (First appearance) (Main story and flashback)
- Lobo (First appearance) (Main story and flashback)
- Zodiac (On-screen)
- Min (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Phil (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Thomas Talltrees (Only appearance; dies) (Only in flashback)
- Rebecca Talltrees (Only appearance; dies) (Only in flashback)
- The Wolf Spirit (Owayodata) (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
Races and Species:
- Earth (Main story and flashback)
- Iron Man Armor Model 3
- Captain America's Uniform and Shield
- Panther Habit
- Goliath's Suit
- Scarlet Witch's Suit
Synopsis for "The Coming of Red Wolf!"
A costumed being named Red Wolf (and his wolf Lobo) are stalking a hood named Jason Birch, the subsequent chase attracts the attention of the Vision who interferes. Birch makes his escape, angering Red Wolf who attacks Vision. The Vision quickly defeats Red Wolf and decides to take him back to Avengers Mansion.
While at the mansion, the Avengers are continuing an investigation into the mysterious group of criminals known as the Zodiac. Vision arrives with the unconscious Red Wolf, and when the Avengers revive the hero they hear his story: That he came from an Indian tribe in Phoenix, Arizona that believed in the legend of Red Wolf, a warrior who came from the sky. His people's land was sought to be bought out by Cornelius Van Lunt, the man who would become Red Wolf didn't care about his heritage and went off to fight in Vietnam where he was injured in combat. When he finally healed, he returned to the United States and took up a job as a steelworker in New York.
When he finally returned home, he found Van Lunt's men threatening his grandfather to sign over the land, which he still refused to sell. That night Van Lunt's men came back and gunned down the man's family, he is the sole survivor. The young man would then go into the mountains and do the dance to summon Red Wolf, he was then empowered with Red Wolf's abilities and soon adopted Lobo shortly after he killed the wolf's mother. Returning to New York and resuming his job as a steelworker by day, at night he would stalk after Van Lunt as Red Wolf. Which was what he was doing before he was interrupted by the Vision.
After much deliberation and conflict over their priorities -- Red Wolf's plight, and their investigation of the Zodiac -- the Avengers decide to split in two groups: Vision, Goliath, and the Scarlet Witch agree to leave with Red Wolf to Arizona to deal with Van Lunt, while Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Quicksilver, and Black Panther stay in New York to find leads on the Zodiac organization.
The superhero you never thought you'd see! The coming of the mysterious Red Wolf - in perhaps the greatest origin tale yet!
- This incarnation of Red Wolf is a descendant of the 19th century Red Wolf who appeared in Marvel Spotlight 1 as well as Red Wolf issues 1 through 6.
- This issue contains a letters section called "Avengers Assemble!" Last issue contained a letter from a Philip Mallory Jones, in which Jones picked apart issue #74, and criticized the story's treatment of race. This issue, Roy Thomas replies with a full-page letter answering Jones's points.
- One interior page of this book is printed on the back of Mead's 1970's Avengers portfolio. This front of the portfolio is the cover of Avengers 141.
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|