Appearing in "Godhood's End!"
- Supreme Intelligence
- Nick Fury
- H. Warren Craddock (Skrull imposter) (Death)
- H. Warren Craddock (actual) (Only appearance)
- Captain America (Vision)
- Sub-Mariner (Vision)
- Blazing Skull (Vision)
- Human Torch (Jim Hammond) (Vision)
- Vision (Aarkus) (Vision)
- Fin (Vision)
- Angel (Thomas Halloway) (Vision)
- Patriot (Vision)
- Fantastic Four (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Atlantean-Human Hybrids (Vision)
- Smokeworlders (Vision)
- Negative Zone
- Andromeda Galaxy
- Kree Galaxy
- Scarlet Witch's Suit
- Quicksilver's Suit
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Iron Man Armor MK IV
- Goliath's Suit
- Universal Weapon
- Omni-Wave Projector
- Captain Marvel's Suit
Synopsis for "Godhood's End!"
Rick Jones finds himself in the Negative Zone and is confronted by Annhilius. He reflects back on the long chain of events that led him to be in this place before Annihilus attacks him.
Suddenly, Rick's mind projects a force bolt that repels his assailant. Rick is then transported back to the chamber of the Supreme Intelligence on the Kree homeworld. The Intelligence explains to him that he has accessed the full potential of the human race. The Kree race, the Intelligence explains, has reached an evolutionary dead end and can no longer evolve. The human race on the other hand are only just beginning the evolution into their eventual godlike forms.
Ronan and an army of troops enter, intent on disposing of Rick and the Intelligence. But Rick uses his newfound power to summon duplicates of super heroes from the 1940s to fight off the Kree soldiers. Following the soldiers’ defeat, Rick uses his powers to freeze all members of the Kree and Skrull throughout the universe in their tracks, effectively bringing the Kree-Skrull War to an abrupt halt.
Rick is eventually drained of all his strength and he passes out. The Supreme Intelligence then summons the Avengers and Captain Marvel to his chamber where they all agree to use some of their collective life force to save Rick's life. In doing so, Rick is reverted back to his normal state while he and Captain Marvel are once again bonded together.
On Earth, the anti-alien mobs that H. Warren Craddock whipped up storm his office and expose the truth: Craddock himself is a Skrull in disguise! The furious humans gang up and kill him.
Afterwards, the Intelligence transports them all back to Avengers Mansion where they realize there is one Avenger still missing: Goliath.
At last! The cataclysmic conclusion of the Kree-Skrull War! Plus a zillion Marvel-ous guest stars!
- With this issue, the Kree-Skrull war storyline, which began back in issue #89, comes to an end.
- As with many of the issues from this storyline, the title is an homage to a science-fiction novel or film. This title is a callback to Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End."
- Neal Adams is credited as a consultant. According to Adams, it was his wish to continue this story arc, but editors wanted to wrap up the epic. The Kree-Skrull War concludes in this issue.
- Goliath (Clint Barton) re-appears next as Hawkeye in Avengers: Forever #1 as one of the time-lost Avengers Rick Jones pulls to his rescue utilizing his newly-reawakened "destiny force" abilities.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for more info.
- The revelation about H. Warren Craddock in this issue is based off an unintentional lingering plot thread from Fantastic Four Vol 1 2. In that story, four Skrulls come to Earth and impersonate the FF. After they are defeated, Reed Richards forces them to take the shape of ordinary cows and hypnotizes them into believing they actually were cows. However, in the final panel of that issue, artist Jack Kirby only drew three cows grazing in the field. There was rampant speculation among fans about what happened to the missing fourth Skrull who seemingly escaped being sentenced to "life as a bovine." Roy Thomas followed up on that speculation by revealing what became of the last of the Skrull Four: he assumed the identity of Craddock.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 97 on the forums
- 8 Images from Avengers Vol 1 97
- 1 Reprints of Avengers Vol 1 97
|Like this? Let us know!|