Algernon Rottwell was a madman who was sent to Dunwich Sanitorium and was diagnosed incurable. He was locked in a special place that was made for him. He caused a riot and took control of the Sanitorium, letting the patients take the place of workers and killing the workers to take their brains.
- Bentley Newton's alias as "Dr. Algernon J. Rottwell" is possibly a reference to either or both of two authors whose works may have inspired elements of the Dunwich Horror short story (which introduces the town of Dunwich, seemingly the reference to the Dunwich Sanatorium) and other Cthulhu Mythos-related works:
- Algernon Blackwood, another famous horror author included by Lovecraft as one of the "Modern Masters" in the section of that name in "Supernatural Horror in Literature". "The Wendigo" inspired both the works of Lovecraft and August Derleth.
- Algernon Charles Swinburne, which wrote "By the North Sea", a poem about the lost port of Dunwich, Suffolk, England. That poem was in an anthology owned by Lovecraft.
- 12 Appearances of Bentley Newton (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Bentley Newton (Earth-616)
- Media Bentley Newton (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images featuring Bentley Newton (Earth-616)
- 4 Quotations by or about Bentley Newton (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Bentley Newton (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|