Blackout is a demonic being known as a Lilin a race of demons spawned by Lilith, the self-professed Mother of Demons. He is immortal or extremely long-lived. It is undetermined if the first generation of Lilin were demon/human hybrids, the result of Lilith mating with other demons, or creations of some other type. Lilith and her children led a campaign of terror and death against humanity, but at some point, Atlantean magicians incarcerated her within the belly of a Leviathan, after which many of the Lilin were killed off by their adversaries. Some survived, either escaping to other dimensions or assimilating themselves into humanity. For thousands of years, Lilith's children awaited her return.
Initially employed by the demonic crimelord Deathwatch, he fought the Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch), and was disfigured in battle when he was scorched by hellfire while trying to bite through Ghost Rider's jacket. This encouraged him to become Ghost Rider's sworn arch-enemy.
At the NYU Medical Center, Blackout snuck in and killed a janitor, and began working his way towards a specific room. He located the room of Barbara Ketch, and began telling her that he knew all about her brother, that he had been watching him, and knew that he was the Ghost Rider. He planned on causing Dan unendurable pain, beginning with her, and then killed her. Blackout continued following Dan, killing people that he met with including Ted Larsen and his priest Father McDonald. Ghost Rider was out riding, trying to find out what was going on, when he came across a couple of Morlocks.
One of Blackout's earliest victims was the Morlock; Pixie. The Morlocks had been conflicting over a plan to change babies into mutated forms. Ghost Rider's incorrect belief that it was Blackout behind the vanishing of babies brought the attention of the real Blackout. Though the children were rescued safely, with the assistance of X-Factor, Blackout managed to kill Pixie and escape.
In New York City, two sewer workers were sent to investigate why there is a major blockage, and discovered dozens of bodies causing the problem. But before they could get out, Blackout added two more bodies to the pile. Blackout visited Deathwatch, and informed him of his progress, Deathwatch then called H.E.A.R.T. to tell them to ready their trap. Ghost Rider, John Blaze, H.E.A.R.T., Blackout, and Deathwatch's men all collided in Central Park. In the end, Blackout was stopped when John shot Ghost Rider while he was holding Blackout, resulting in Blackout's face being further burned. Blackout killed Dan Ketch, trapping the Ghost Rider on the mortal plane.
Return of Lilith
Lilith found a way to return to the mortal plain. Around this time, Blackout went on a murderous rampage through Central Park, leading to a hostage situation with the police. He later became allied with Lilith, the demon-goddess, who claimed she was his great-grandmother. Blackout teamed up with many super-powered offspring of Lilith, all doing her will.
Lilith had Pilgrim lead her to one of her lost children, Skinner. He was married and has a son now, but she demanded that he fulfill his obligations. So he killed his family, and went on the hunt for Blaze. Meanwhile, Ghost Rider was continuing to hunt down Nakota, who is being transported around by Pilgrim to act as bait for Ghost Rider.
In Greenland, Lilith had regenerated her slain children inside her, but she needed one of them to help her give birth, so she called out into the world. Outcast answered his mothers call and slashing her open, her previously consumed children were reborn, more powerful than before. Blackout and Pilgrim headed out immediately to kill Ghost Rider, and they intercepted him and Seer on their way to the Night Club. They were caught by surprise, and Blackout threatened Ghost Rider with killing Mrs. Ketch again, and Pilgrim took them to Forest Hills. There, Blackout held her hostage, but Ghost Rider once again managed to drive them off, only to have Centurious arrive and take Mrs. Ketch for himself, telling Ghost Rider that he would have to find him if he wanted to see her alive again.
Doctor Strange and the Midnight Sons were besieged at Doc's Sanctum. When Doc tried to freeze time, Lilith interfered and splits him into three entities. Sister Nil killed Imei, and Doc had to destroy his own Sanctum.
Blackout, Dark Legion, and Meatmarket attacked Vengeance's police precinct. He then went after Ketch's friend Stacy Dolan. They were distracted by the arrival of Dr. Strange and other Midnight Sons. They cast a spell that protected the people from being seen by Lilin.
It nearly killed Morbius to overcome his dark Lilin side, but the Midnight Sons were hell-bent on finishing the job.
Burning to Death
Linda Wei tired of Blackout manipulating her, and alerted Ghost Rider to where his next attack would be. Ghost Rider managed to save the family, but on that evening's news broadcast, Linda confessed everything and attempted to kill herself with a gun. She was stopped by Blackout from killing herself, but then he turned around and killed her himself on live television. He was finally captured by Ghost Rider, hoisted and chained over the World Trade Center where he was thought to have burned to death.
He joined the Hood's criminal army. It was created to take advantage of the chaos created due to the Superhuman Registration Act. He was active with the group during the Secret Invasion of the Skrulls, where they worked with the heroes to defeat the alien army. He worked with the team on various missions, including facing the New Avengers.
He later assembled a "task-force" of Ghost-Rider foes in order to hunt down and destroy both the Ketch & Blaze Ghost Riders. Later, he attacked the church filled with gun-armed nuns alongside Orb, Deacon, and the new Vengeance. He cloaked the place in darkness, threatening and mocking the nuns, but was stopped by being shot with bullets covered in holy water. Blackout ran away screaming in pain into the night.
Blackout and Deathwatch later joined the D.O.A. (Department of Occult Armaments) and worked with Skadi in attacking to town of Dayton, Ohio. Alejandra Jones became the new Ghost Rider who is able to defeat the demonic duo. He later returned to fight an army of heroes facing Sin.
Blackout kidnapped Superior Spider-Man's "Aunt May" and held hostage in exchange for technology. However Spider-Man hunted him down, and when he tried to bite Spidey on the neck, he was electrocuted due to metal plating. Otto then tortured Blackout, ripping out his teeth and claws. During the torture he begged for forgiveness and agreed to spread the word that "Peter Parker is off limits", but Otto continued to burn him using ultraviolet radiation.
With the Assassins Guild
Blackout started working for the Assassins Guild and was partnered up with Threnody, who he was helping to feed her undead baby. When the pair were sent after Deadpool, Threnody turned on Blackout so she could get out of the Guild, but spared his life in thanks for his help.
- Superhuman Strength: Blackout possesses superhuman strength, one of the more common powers possessed by demons or beings with some degree of demonic heritage. At his peak, Blackout can lift about 2 tons.
- Superhuman Speed: Blackout can run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Blackout's advanced musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of a human. At his peak, he can exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood begins to impair him.
- Superhuman Durability: Blackout's body was somewhat tougher and more resistant to physical injury than the body of a normal human, possibly a by-product of his superhuman strength. Blackout's body could withstand the rigors of great impact forces. He could withstand impacts, such as falling from several stories or being struck by someone possessing a lower level degree of superhuman strength, that would severely injure or kill a human being.
- Superhuman Agility: Blackout's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Blackout's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of a normal human.
- Superhuman Sight: Blackout's eyesight is heightened to a degree well beyond that of a normal human. He can see with perfect clarity at much greater distances than a normal human. He retains this same level of clarity at night, even to the point of being able to see perfectly in near-total darkness.
- Umbrakinesis: Blackout, befitting the name he uses, is able to psionically extinguish any natural or artificial light source within his immediate vicinity. Supernatural light sources like Ghost Rider's hellfire are not affected by Blackout's power.
- Healing Factor: Blackout possesses regenerative healing capabilities.
Hand-to-Hand-Combat: Blackout is a formidable hand to hand combatant and is also experienced in wrestling techniques. He is also a highly trained acrobat, which he uses in combination with his great agility to use a unique freestyle type of fighting that he combines with his more conventional fighting skills.
Ultraviolet Radiation: Blackout's skin is extremely sensitive to light. Exposure to direct sunlight causes his skin to burn rapidly.
Blackout possessed mechanically enhanced fangs and claws that he can use in combat situations. These enhancements were some form of implants and not part of his natural physiology. The claws were extremely sharp and, coupled with his strength, were able to rend most conventional materials, including some types of metals. Later, upon his death and rebirth as one of Lilith's children, Blackout's fangs and claws became a natural part of his physiology.
- Blackout has posed as a Vampire, and is sometimes confused or presented/described as such.
- 58 appearance(s) of Blackout (Lilin) (Earth-616)
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Blackout (Lilin) (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) of Blackout (Lilin) (Earth-616)
- 17 image(s) of Blackout (Lilin) (Earth-616)
- 4 quotation(s) by or about Blackout (Lilin) (Earth-616)
- 4 victim(s) killed by Blackout (Lilin) (Earth-616)