Buluku is the supreme All-Father of the Vodū. Eons ago, he merged with the primordial Earth Mother Gaea (later known among the Vodū alternatively as "Nana," "Ale," and "Asase Ya"), and sired twin offspring: the sun god Lusa and the moon goddess Mahu. As a result of this merging, the "supreme creator" was sometimes worshipped by mortals as the androgynous "Nana Buluku." Lusa and Mahu joined forces to create the mortal world, mortal life, and mortal technology in four days' time. Buluku remained in Orun, content to leave this newborn mortal world's care to his children. Lusa and Mahu, in turn, sired several divine pairs of twins, including Avlekete and Ezili, Ogun and Shango, Dam-Ayido Wede and Sagbata, and Eschu and Legba.
He participated in the Council of Godheads as Buluku, and as Ndriananahary (his name by the Malagasy-speaking people of Madagascar), of the Razanes. As Ndriananahary, he was also lord of the underworld Iku.
Possible appearances in Mbangawi
In the 16th century, Dam-Ayido Wede benefited of the Atlantic slave trade usurping his grandfather's role as the Sky Father and creator of the world, as Damballah. Buluku himself became known as Olōdūmarē or Olodumare to the practitioners of Cuban Santeria.
Powers and Abilities
- This deity possibly exist as separate entities for his different names and/or aspects.
- For example it is known that Buluku and Ndriananahary are the same entity, but Buluku and Ndriananahary are listed as separate members of the Council of Godheads.
- Despite Buluku is known to be the grandfather to Damballah and Sagbata, respectively god of the dead and god of death, their relation to Ndriananahary, lord of the underworld, is "undefined".
- Some gods could be in fact just alternate spellings of his name, like Nyame could also be:
- Nyambe, the Orisha Great Spirit.
- Nyami of the Orishas of Wakanda.
- "Nzambi", the Kikongo word for a creator deity.
- In our reality, Ngi is the son of the supreme creator god Zamba, Ngi and his brothers N'Kokon (mantis) the wise, Otukut (lizard) the fool, and Wo (chimpanzee) the curious, it is not clear whether or not Zamba may be another name for Buluku on Earth-616, where Ngi is one of the gorilla deities worshiped by the Jabari tribe.
There isn't a Buluku in African mythology, but there is a Nana Buluku (female) who is the Supreme Being in the West African traditional religion of the Fon people and the Ewe people. Nana Buluku is is equivalent to Gaea. Nana Buluku is equivalent to Gaea, on Earth-616, Gaea (as Nana) and Buluku are the parents of the orishas and loa.
- 6 appearance(s) of Buluku (Earth-616)
- 2 minor appearance(s) of Buluku (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) of Buluku (Earth-616)
- 2 image(s) of Buluku (Earth-616)