- You will show them greatness that D'Ken never possessed, you will show them strength that Lilandra never had. And they will love you for it.
- -- Deathbird src
Contrary to most of the Shi'ar, Deathbird had atavistic features, being much more similar to her ancestors than, for instance, her younger siblings Lilandra and D'Ken. Deathbird has been described as an "evolutionary throwback".
Although she was the eldest of the Neramani siblings, Deathbird was denied the right to rule the Shi'ar Empire, and D'Ken was named emperor. Due to her crimes against the state, including the murder of her father the emperor, Deathbird was exiled to the outer space.
Wanting the throne, she rebelled against D'Ken, who was emperor at the time, and allied herself with the Brood to usurp him and, later, Lilandra (who succeeded D'Ken). She eventually usurped the throne and became empress of Shi'ar, although she had to face many rebellions. A group of Skrulls maimed her wings and forced her to abdicate in their favor.
Deathbird sought the help of Lilandra's allies the X-Men but, once the Skrulls were removed from the throne, Deathbird chose not to sit on it, and she abdicated again in favor of Lilandra. Due to her surprisingly good job while reigning, once the Kree-Shi'ar War was over, Lilandra named Deathbird viceroy of the recently annexed Kree Empire.
Horseman of War
Deathbird was later recruited to serve Apocalypse as the Horseman War. She retrieved the Living Monolith along with X-Man Bishop for Apocalypse to use in the Twelve. Deathbird and Famine were teleported away by Mikhail Rasputin after Apocalypse's defeat.
While in space, she began a relationship with the time-displaced Bishop. The two ended up confronting each other over a plan to defeat the Ruul, and Deathbird was presumed dead after being ejected from a spaceship.
Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
Deathbird was rescued by the Imperial Guard, but Lilandra imprisoned her because she posed a threat to her rule. 
On his quest for vengeance against the entire Shi'ar race, Vulcan was captured and incarcerated in the same maximum security installation that housed Deathbird. Released by a member of a secret order that wished D'Ken to lead the Shi'ar once more, Vulcan himself released Deathbird.
Vulcan was enthralled by Deathbird, and they became romantically involved. He promised to put his quest for vengeance on hold. Deathbird convinced Vulcan to finish the healing process that the Shi'ar members of the secret order had begun on D'Ken, who remained in a coma since the M'Kraan Crystal incident. When D'Ken discerned Vulcan's feelings for Deathbird, he invoked an ancient Shi'ar custom and invited Vulcan to marry Deathbird and become part of Shi'ar royalty.
Vulcan and Deathbird were married in front of the M'Kraan Crystal just as the X-Men, Lilandra, The Starjammers, and the Shi'ar loyal to Lilandra attacked. During the chaos that ensued Vulcan killed D'Ken (as he didn't promise not to kill him) and assumed the throne of Emperor of the Shi'ar Empire, with Deathbird as his Empress. During the fight Polaris crushed the ribs of Deathbird's husband and she instructed the Imperial Guard, still loyal to the ruling family, to protect them as they fled.
Vulcan's rule was initially compared to Lilandra's as the Shi'ar thought Cal'syee's husband another weak human. Vulcan however proved that he was a strong emperor and the people fell in love with him. During the Starjammers escape from their prison planet Cal'syee was severely injured by Polaris.
At some point after Vulcan's death she was captured by the Providian Order. However they wasn't interested in Deathbird, but only in her child - hybrid of atavistic Shi'ar and powerful Mutant. Sharada Darthri experimented on the baby and infused it with Kree geneline.
Spider-Man and the X-Men
Deathbird was later seen to still be pregnant and possessed by a group of rogue symbiotes who attacked S.W.O.R.D. and teleported to the X-Men headquarters. She was separated from the symbiote and later taken into custody.
|Power Grid |
- Claws: Deathbird has claw-like nails that can be used in fight, except when flying.
- Natural winged flight, able to reach 63 mph. Maximum 6 hours of flight, without extra weight. Maximum load, 330 pounds. Notably, she must have her arms free, but she might use her hands while flying. Her wings are sharp spurs that can be used to fight while on flight.
- Exceptional hand-to-hand combatant, trained in Shi'ar methods of armed and unarmed combat.
- Skilled at hurling javelins.
- Expert in Shi'ar law.
- Cunning military strategist.
Cal'syee is currently comatose and paralyzed.
Shi'ar Javelins, which extend to 3-feet in length and can be thrown with deadly force. Deathbird has also used a javelin that releases a noxious gas on impact. Some javelins can project blasts of electricity when the tips of two javelins touch each other.
- Deathbird had also killed her mother. It was learned after Lilandra screamed, "Matricide!" while leaping towards her.
- Appearances of Cal'syee Neramani (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Cal'syee Neramani (Earth-616)
- Media Cal'syee Neramani (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- Images featuring Cal'syee Neramani (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Cal'syee Neramani (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Cal'syee Neramani (Earth-616)
- Characters killed by Deathbird
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ real name first revealed in Gambit & The X-Ternals #2
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #343
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 X-Men: Spotlight on...Starjammers #2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 X-Men Vol 4 #18-20
- ↑ All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update #3
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Marvel Encyclopedia #1; 2009 edition; Deathbird's entry
- ↑ Classic X-Men #14
- ↑ Ms. Marvel #9-10
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #155-158
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #275-276
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #277
- ↑ Avengers #347
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #480
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #480-482
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #483
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #485
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #486
- ↑ Spider-Man and the X-Men #5
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #156
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #3
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #3
|Like this? Let us know!|