Appearing in "What Makes the Man"
- Captain America (Steve Rogers) (Main story and flashback)
- Bucky (James Barnes)
- unnamed government operatives (Only in flashback)
- Simon (government official) (Only in flashback)
Races and Species:
- Humans (Main story and flashback)
- Somewhere above Europe
- North America (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "What Makes the Man"
While flying towards a dangerous mission in 1942, Bucky tries to figure out what makes Captain America so special. He recalls a story that Steve Rogers recounted to him about how in 1940 he was declared 4F, unfit for military service. On his way home, he ran across a FBI agent who was dying. The agent told Rogers that he had busted in on a Fifth Columnist Cell and gave him an amulet that he said must be returned to the Timely Building. Rogers then ran from the Nazi collaborators, nearly getting himself killed in the process. He refused to give up, however, because of the love he felt for his country. He eventually got away and returned the amulet, which had a secret formula inscribed upon it that was actually the Super-Soldier Formula. After leaving the office, Rogers is approached by the person recruiting for the Super-Soldier program to be its first recruit. Bucky then comes to the conclusion that Steve Rogers is what makes Captain America so great.
- Also reprints "Captain America: Death Loads the Bases!" from Captain America Comics #7.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Captain America Comics 70th Anniversary Special Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Images from Captain America Comics 70th Anniversary Special Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|