Appearing in ""Mad-Flight!""
Races and Species:
- New York
- Doctor Faustus' private jet
Synopsis for ""Mad-Flight!""
Still confused over the current status of the Falcon, Steve Rogers hurriedly arrives at L.A.X. in the hopes of getting back to New York as soon as possible. He uses his S.H.I.E.L.D. identity clearance to book passage on a previously chartered private jet.
Upon boarding the plane however, he is startled to discover the entire cabin is filled with thugs and criminals of every walk of life. A blonde-haired woman named Karla Sofen ushers everyone to their seats, taking care to have everyone remove their weapons. Steve manages to smuggle his shield on board, without revealing his identity as Captain America.
As the plane takes off down the runway, Rogers finds that the man coordinating this particular flight is his old foe, Doctor Faustus. Faustus provides a slide show for his underlings, detailing his plan to take financial control over all of Manhattan. Having heard enough, Steve rushes to the restroom where he changes into his Captain America costume.
Cap bursts out of the cabin and plows through the assembled goons. Since most of them had their weapons confiscated, they are ill equipped to deal with the shield-slinger. Cap muscles his way towards the front of the plane, where Faustus stands waiting for him. Two of Faustus' bodyguards keep Cap at bay with two hand-held sonic depressors. One blast from such a weapon can paralyze an individual, shutting down their mental faculties in the process. Faustus will use these same weapons to hold Manhattan hostage.
Cap rushes towards him, but the guards zap him with the sonic depressors. As the plane arrives in New York, Cap manages to shake off the guns' effects and attacks Faustus. One of the other criminals withdraws a pistol from his derby and tries to shoot Captain America, but the bullet misses instead striking the window. The plane immediately begins to decompress and Faustus flies out the window, seemingly to his death. Cap lands the plane, and New York's finest are waiting at JFK International Airport to arrest Faustus' men.
- First appearance of Moonstone; appears as Karla Sofen only. She appears next in full costume in Incredible Hulk Vol 1 228. She will become a notorious member of the new Masters of Evil and eventually attempt to reform and become a member of the Thunderbolts.
- Although the Falcon is referenced in this issue, he does not make an actual appearance.
- This is the last issue for artist Frank Robbins. Jack Kirby returns to his co-creation next issue and will be the regular writer, artist, and editor through Captain America Vol 1 214.
- Doctor Faustus appeared last in Captain America Vol 1 162. He appears next in Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) Vol 1 169.
- This issue contains a Series "A" Marvel Value Stamp: Vol 1 56 - The Rawhide Kid.
- This issue features a letters page, Let's Rap With Cap. Letters are published from Dave Emmons, Gregory A. Maddux, Mark Dooley, Alberto Panganiban, Doug Zimmerman, and Kirk Winkler.
- The last panel of this issue features a Jack Kirby image of Captain America and the Falcon promoting next issue.
- Shortly after this issue Captain America returns to New York. He becomes a target for "The Assassin" in Avengers Vol 1 145 and Vol 1 146. He then helps the Avengers fight Roxxon Oil and the Squadron Supreme in Avengers Vol 1 141-144 and Avengers Vol 1 147-149. Next he tackles "The Thing from the Black Hole Star" in Captain America Annual 3. He then goes to England to aid Captain Britain in Captain Britain Vol 1 16-27, then embarks on his time traveling odyssey in Captain America's Bicentennial Battles. (Whew!!)
- The tagline to this issue is "Slaughter in the Sky".
- Captain America, Vol. 1
- Captain America, Vol. 2
- Captain America, Vol. 3
- Captain America, Vol. 4
- Captain America, Vol. 5
- Captain America and the Falcon
Links and References
- Captain America article at Wikipedia
- Captain America profile at the Marvel Directory
- Captain America profile at Marvel Universe
- Captain America profile at Toonopedia
- The Grand Comics Database: Captain America Vol 1 192 
- The Unoffical Marvel Value Stamps Site