- I'll never stop believing that life is something most sacred, something to be sacrificed only for the greatest of causes...liberty!
Appearing in "Death, Where Is Thy Sting?"
Synopsis for "Death, Where Is Thy Sting?"
Captain America frees himself from Dragon Man's grip by throwing his glove into Dragon Man's eye. Retrieving his shield, Cap smashes the drone buzzing round, freeing Dragon Man from its influence, then follows as Dragon Man heads off to confront Machinesmith. Meanwhile, as Josh and Bernie watch Mike's fireman unit put out a fire Dragon Man started, Bernie realizes she is concerned for the absent Steve, and wonders how deep her feelings run for a man she has only just met. Dragon Man destroys a barn to reveal a hidden entrance, and Cap follows Dragon Man inside. Machinesmith attacks and incapacitates Dragon Man. When Cap confronts Machinesmith, his head falls off, revealing him to be a robot, and another Machinesmith taunts Cap as several robots attack simultaneously Cap fights his way through the onslaught pursuing Machinesmith, who continues to jump between robot bodies. After explaining how his mind came to reside within a machine, he attacks Cap with a Machinesmith army. Noticing they are guarding a computer bank, Cap attacks it deactivating the robots. As the damaged computer deactivates, Machinesmith reveals it houses his consciousness, and thanks Cap for helping him end a life no longer worth living.
- Plot by Stern and Byrne, script by Stern.
- In this issue, Machinesmith is revealed to be the former Daredevil villain Mister Fear.
- This issue also reveals that the Manipulator from Captain America #242 was created by Machinesmith.
- This issue also contains a letters page, "Letters to the Living Legend". A letter is published from Gary M. Fishman with a reply from Roger Stern.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Captain America Vol 1 249 on the forums
- 1 Image(s) from Captain America Vol 1 249
- 2 Reprints of Captain America Vol 1 249
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Captain America #249 
|Like this? Let us know!|