Appearing in "Rite of Passage"
- Edwin Jarvis
- 🢐 Beast (Hank McCoy) 🢒
- Ray Coulson
- John Coulson
- The "Huns" (a biker gang)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
- Captain America's Motorcycle (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Rite of Passage"
Feeling he's being followed, Captain America unsuccessfully tries to find his pursuer. Cap exercises at Avengers Mansion. Jarvis gives Cap a letter from Ray Coulson. After dropping off an art assignment, Cap visits Ray, who asks Cap for help. Ray wants Cap to deliver a message to his son John who ran off to join a biker gang. Cap tracks the gang down and agrees to a test in order to talk to John. Cap is tied to two motorcycles for the test. Dr Octopus crashes in and steals Cap's shield. Octopus reveals he's been following Cap, waiting to strike and steal his shield in order to analyze it to make his arms stronger. Cap quickly defeats Octopus, retrieves his shield and delivers Ray's message to John, an apology for not being a better father. John decides to return home and make amends. Days later, John visits Avengers Mansion to give Cap his thanks in the form of a custom-built motorcycle.
- Plot and title by Shooter, script by Michelinie.
- Inks are credited to Quickdraw Studios (i.e. Frank McLaughlin).
- Captain America is presented with a custom red, white, and blue motorcycle in this issue. Captain America has riden numerous motorcycles in the past dating back to World War II.
- Arne Starr who worked for Frank McLaughlin at "Quickdraw" was the person who got to ink Captain America's motorcycle as one of his early professional comic jobs.
- This issue contains a letters page: Letters to the Living Legend. Letters are published from Wayne R. Smith, David Alspaw, Mark Tuttle, Michael S. Martin, Alan Nussbaum, Mike Lanzaiotti, Raphael Cung, and Barry Dutter.
- John Coulson is mistakenly called "Joey" by Captain America in this issue.
- This issue is featured in the 1982 movie Poltergeist, being read by one of the kids before going to bed.
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Captain America Vol 1 259