Appearing in "Prison Reform!"
- Miss Hildy (a reporter)
- Warden Michaels
- Eddie (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "Prison Reform!"
Cap is placed into Ryker's Island to test its security. The former warden Carlisle had set the main entrance to open to the words "Captain America". Earlier, when a prisoner unknowingly blurts out this name in conversation too close to that entrance, a major prison break took place. The prisoners were swiftly recaptured, but obviously security at that prison had to be increased, and certainly beyond changing the main gate's activation phrase from something so common. Cap allows himself to be publicly imprisoned at Ryker's and to be monitored, but he plans to eventually make his break.
While incarcerated Captain America encounters his old nemeses "Thumper" Morgan and Deacon (from Tales of Suspense #62). Cap also has a plan to try to rehabilitate a young convict named Tony Zack. Despite the scheming of "Thumper" and "Deacon", Cap does make a successful break and he is able to reach Tony Zack about getting on the right path As the story, ends prison officials bemoan that Ryker's failed its security test. However, Ms. Hildy, reports that Ryker's did not fail because when you imprison Captain America, you imprison the very spirit of freedom itself.
- Inks (story pages): Quickdraw Studios (i.e. Frank McLaughlin) pages 1-17, Milgrom pages 18-22.
- Colours credited to Doc Martin.
- "Thumper" Morgan and Deacon were last seen in Tales of Suspense #62. The plot of this story also continues from that issue.
- "Thumper" Morgan's last name is revealed in this issue.
- In this issue, readers learn that Warden Michaels has replaced Superintendent Carlson as warden at Ryker's prison. Carlson was last seen in Tales of Suspense #62.
- No letters page is published this issue.
- This story was published the same month as Amazing Spider-Man #219, which depicts several criminals (including Grey Gargoyle and Jonas Harrow) easily escaping - somewhat at odds with the plot of this story.
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Captain America #260