Appearing in "Hope and Glory"
- Captain America (Steve Rogers) (Main story and recap)
- Avengers (Main story and recap)
- Unnamed armored terrorists (Only appearance)
- Metropolitan Police Department (First appearance)
- Detective James McElroy (First appearance)
- Thomas Jefferson (Statue)
- President Kennedy (Mentioned)
- God (Yahweh) (Invoked)
- Avengers (Recap)
- Athena Parthenos (Mentioned)
- Hermes Diaktoros (Mentioned)
- Zeus Panhellenios (Mentioned)
- President Clinton
- Sharon Carter (Shadow only)
- Red Skull (Johann Schmidt) (Shadow in main story and recap)
Races and Species:
- Humans (Main story and recap)
- Inhumans (Main story and recap)
- Shi'ar (Main story and recap)
- Olympians (Main story and recap)
- Asgardians (Recap)
- United States of America (Main story and recap)
- Olympus, Greece (Mentioned)
- Black Widow's Gauntlets (Main story and recap)
- Giant-Man's Suit (Main story and recap)
- Captain America's Uniform (Main story and recap)
- Captain America's Shield (Main story and recap)
- Iron Man Armor Model 3 (Recap)
- Wasp's Suit (Recap)
- Hawkeye's Bow and Trick Arrows (Recap)
- World War II (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "Hope and Glory"
Two weeks after Captain America's disappearance, a group of heavily armed terrorists hold the President and his bodyguards hostage in the Jefferson Memorial demanding the missing hero show himself. The Avengers had been keeping the news of his fate quiet, with some still believing he would soon return. The terrorists' sophisticated armor is set to automatically explode if anyone comes near them, making it impossible even for Quicksilver to rescue all the hostages with his speed. Nonetheless, with the memory of their former leader guding them and some careful observation, the Avengers find a way to defeat the bad guys and with their reminiscience even inspire the skeptical young government agent assigned to the case that had been doubting the importance of Captain America. Their efforts save the hostages, but at the expense of the Jefferson Memorial. The Avengers also realize they need to come clean to the public about Cap's presumed death.
Elsewhere in a high-tech control center, the shadowy mastermind of the attack considers his objective to publicize Captain America's fate a success, all while the real Captain rests in suspended animation within the same room.
- The Avengers recount their experiences with Captain America, referring back to when they first met in Avengers #4, when he led the reformed team starting with Avengers #16, and when he fought the Cosmic Cube armed Red Skull in Tales of Suspense #81. They also recap his mysterious disappearance, which occurred at the end of the previous issue.
- The identities of the shadowy figures holding Captain America's body as well what happened to Cap since the last issue are explained in the next issue.
- This issue contains a letters page, American Grafitti. Letters are pubished from: Scott McLean and Andy Herman.
- In this issue, the letters page changes its name to "American Grafitti". It was previously called "Let's Rap With Cap". Both letter page names had been used previously. "Let's Rap With Cap" is the orginal name of the letters page which debuted in Captain America #100.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Captain America Vol 1 444 on the forums
- 2 Images from Captain America Vol 1 444
- 1 Reprints of Captain America Vol 1 444
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|