Appearing in "When Titans Collide! / Chapter Two: A Clash of Titans / Chapter Three: Mind Slave / Prologue"
- 🢐 Lou-Ann Savannah 🢒
- 🢐 Death 🢒
- Eon 🢒 (First appearance)
- Imperial Kree Army (Mentioned)
- Eros (Vision)
- Blood Brothers (Vision)
- Mentor (Vision)
- Kronos (Vision)
- Thor (Odinson) (Referenced)
- Supreme Intelligence (Referenced)
Races and Species:
- Abstract Entities
- Zombies (Mentioned)
- Badoon (Vision)
- Eternals (Vision)
- Lizards (Vision)
- Roclites (Vision)
- Fleas (Mentioned)
- Weasels (Referenced)
- Bears (Referenced)
- Prime Marvel Universe
- Captain Marvel's Suit
- Iron Man Armor MK IV
- Captain America's Shield
- Panther Habit
- Cosmic Cube
- Slave Discs
- Controller Suit
Synopsis for "When Titans Collide! / Chapter Two: A Clash of Titans / Chapter Three: Mind Slave / Prologue"
Rick Jones is at Avengers Mansion. His girlfriend Lou Ann lies comatose. Her energy is slowing being drained by a small disc that cannot be removed without killing her. Rick Jones summons Captain Marvel via his Nega-Bands to tell the Avengers about the menace and plans of the evil Titan Thanos. While this discussion takes place, the Controller has slipped into the mansion. He stealthily separates and defeats all of the Avenges in short order. He then approaches Captain Marvel telling him that he has come to retrieve Lou Ann for his employer Thanos.
The story shifts to Louisiana where Thanos has discovered the hidden Cosmic Cube. The entity Death is also present. However, Drax the Destroyer opposes him. The two duel. Thanos places Drax through his "Time-Mind Sync Warp". Drax eventually frees himself, but the effort renders him unconscious. Thanos takes his prize: The Cosmic Cube.
At Avengers Mansion, Captain Marvel is defeated by the Controller. The Controller has had his powers greatly enhanced by Thanos and defeats Mar-Vell by pulling down a mountain of equipment down on the Captain. He takes Lou Ann. Under the rubble, Captain Marvel has reverted back to Rick Jones. Rick is pinned but safe. However, he does not understand where Captain Marvel has gone, as his Nega-Bands no longer work to summon his alter-ego.
The prologue shows Captain Marvel in space in the presence of the space entity Eon. Eon states that in order for Captain Marvel to defeat Thanos, Captain Marvel, the soldier, must die!
- Plot by Starlin, script by Friedrich (Chapters I and III) and Starlin (Chapter II).
- Romita (uncredited) inks Captain America and Iron Man heads on page 1.
- Job# for this issue is 15437 (seen on page one).
- Issues 25-33 of Captain Marvel are referred to as "The Thanos War".
- Features letters page "Mail it to MAR-VELL". Letters by: K.J. Robbins, Brian Earl Brown, Mark Wasserman, and John F. Donigan
- Scarlet Witch gives a spare costume to Captain Marvel in this issue. She previously gave a new costume to Goliath in Avengers #28 and will later give a new costume to Wonder Man in Avengers #161. She appears to have some interest at this time as a costume designer/seamstress.