Quotes by James Buchanan Barnes (Earth-616)
- I believe in you, Steve. I believe in Captain America. All that hooey about symbol of liberty, Fighting American, -- even someone like me could fall for it... I guess 'cause we need a Captain America. I need a Captain America.
- Whoa. Maybe it really is 2008.
- You shot at Natasha. That was your last act on Earth, pal.
- We make a good team. You must remember that much.
- Are you implying that the underwater drug smugglers are more likely to surrender to you when you speak German? How long have you been single again? Are you having issues?
- Probably think she's already won. But she underestimates me...just as she always did. This is just starting, Lotus. I'll bring you to justice -- if I have to follow you to the ends of the earth.
- You do...? Then...train me. Make me your partner. I promise I'll listen to you. Just...don't leave me here when everybody else goes over...
- That's the thing -- the thing that makes Captain America great...is Steve Rogers!
- Really? Nick Fury...with a secret agenda? You don't say.
- Hey, I just spent a week with these idiots... I'm not showing off, I'm working out my frustration...
- Someone's messing with me, Steve... And I don't like it.
- C'mon...it's time for me to face the past...no matter what.
- I never asked -- never wanted -- to be Captain America. But that mask, those stars and stripes, that shield...they change you. I can see now the burden that Steve's always carried. And it feels strange to admit I want that burden back... But underneath it all, what I really know is...I want to deserve it...somehow.
- My dreams are the worst I've ever had. Images of the Winter Soldier fold in on each other... I see things I forgot happened... Like a door unlocking in my mind... Torture... Slaughter... And training others in their use... So much horror... I wake up vomiting. And don't feel much better afterwards. My bad dreams linger...but I wouldn't expect anything else...
- Yes sir, Cap! I won't let you down.
- Mission accomplished, general... the cube is yours. The Red Skull? No, no trouble at all, sir... Got him in the cross hairs and took the shot... yes sir, absolutely. He's dead.
- Sometimes I think if you didn't have me, there wouldn't be a single person in the world who really understood you...
- I could NEVER wear Steve's uniform. I'm not him and I won't pretend I am. ... Just cause I'm not him doesn't mean I can't honor his memory.
- Okay, the punching and kicking...the shield...not bad. The rest of what this is...well, that's gonna take a lot more work.
- Where I'm from, the good guys fought on the same side...they didn't just start throwing punches at each other.
- I don't want to be here. I want to be with Sam and Natalia on the hunt... I want to be bashing the Red Skull's teeth in... and saving Steve's girl. But damn it, Natalia was right... this is where I have to be.
- Oh...tell me that is NOT Batroc the Leaper.
- Haven't been hit that hard in a long time. Felt like Wolverine decked me.
- I realize I wasn't totally truthful with Natasha...I didn't just go back to face my past...I needed, more than anything in the world, to save something from the past...for a change.
- I was just thinking over and over about what Steve had said... About killing a man and what the hardest part was... And I was hopin' like hell he'd been lyin'.
- So, yeah...World War II. There, Steve and I were...sentinels of liberty, defenders of freedom... We were the first 'costumes' leading the war effort. But ti wasn't just us anymore... Water-breathing sea kings. Men made of fire. I was just a kid in a domino mask...guess which of these things was not like the others?
- This was old Bucky behavior. No plan. Just taking action. I'd grown up a lot since those days, but...that night, all I felt was rage. Rage and horror.
- Captain Schlacht, eh? Meet Mr. One -- Two!
- Without your gun, you couldn't lick a stamp!
- Suh. Serpent. The Serpent is here. Tuh -- tell Thor. Cap. Everybody. The Serpent. You--you gotta-- Save 'em, Nat. Gotta save...
- There are things from the Winter Soldier days that I'm just remembering. Weapons left in the field...dangers I can still prevent. I think maybe that's the path...a way to the redemption I've been looking for.
- This man was a friend of mine... a decorated American hero...
- Lord, What a Mess!
- Good Gravy, Gwenny Lou!
- There are things from the Winter Soldier days that I'm just remembering. Weapons left in the field... Dangers I can still prevent. I think maybe that's the path... A way to the redemption I've been looking for.
- From now on the Red Skull and all his Nazi nasties had better watch out for the Liberty Legion!
- The main thing is America's got two Super hero groups to fight for her now!
- The world needs the Avengers. Now, maybe, more than ever. I know Cap put this team together. He would have been over the moon proud of what happened yesterday. You won a war. You won. You're Captain America's Avengers. So this is your home as much as it is mine. This is Avengers Headquarters. There're plenty of rooms, there's a gym... You can live here, or come and go. But this is your home now. If you want it.
- You're up against Captain America... and Captain America!
- Hawkeye has gone through all of this hoping Natasha was alive. Wishing for it. He's seeing things that aren't there. Whoever this woman is, it can't be Natasha.
- Or we're dealing with some earlier incarnation of the Red Room here. Maybe some rogue faction brought back to life?
- I keep trying to escape it, but I can't. Bucky the lone wolf... Bucky the killer... the Winter Soldier. No. Stop it. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, you stupid selfish fool... this isn't about you. You're doing this for Steve.
- All right, kids. Now vanish... before S.H.I.E.L.D. and Miss Marvel show up to remind you what a bunch of pansies Hydra really is.
- Yeah, well... Luck hasn't exactly been on my side lately...
- If Leo wants me to be the old Winter Soldier again.. then I'll do it. I just hope you can stop me... before it goes to far.
- I try to imagine my life without her, and all I see is pain ...and heartbreak. But a least I'll be the only one feeling it.
- This man was a friend of mine... a decorated American hero...
- The next day is one of the longest days of my life. While Sitwell tries to track the helicopter Leo used to abduct Natasha... I work the underworld. Because Leo's henchmen had to come from somewhere. But like I said, it's a long day. A day of broken bones... And dead ends... and shame. I know these aren't innocent men. Mercenaries. Outlaws. Killers for hire. But I keep hurting them after I know they're not going to tell me anything. Because they deserve it. And because I'm angry. And helpless. And for that, I feel shame... Which is exactly what Leo Novokov wants. To drive me to this.
- Nat, I know you're in there.. because I was, too. when they did it to me. It's me James... remember?
- Well, whoever you are, your handler's going to be disappointed.
- ... People tell me... I've redeemed myself. And some days... I think that's true. Other days... I don't. Helping people... helps me. To feel... worthwhile again. And maybe, hopefully... it'll help make those days where I really do feel like I've turned a corner... not be so rare.
- If you knew who I really was... what I've done... I'm a monster.
- Rest well, my Young Allies. It was a privilege to serve with you.
Conversations with James Buchanan Barnes (Earth-616)
Namor the Sub-Mariner
Namor the Sub-Mariner
All items (63)
- Fantasy Masterpieces Vol 1 7
- Marvel Premiere Vol 1 29
- Marvel Premiere Vol 1 30
- Invaders Vol 1 26
- Invaders Vol 1 39
- Adventures of Captain America Vol 1 4
- Captain America Vol 4 26
- Captain America Vol 5 1
- Captain America Vol 5 8
- Captain America Vol 5 11
- Wolverine Vol 3 39
- Winter Soldier: Winter Kills Vol 1 1
- Captain America Vol 5 34
- Captain America Vol 5 36
- Captain America Vol 5 37
- Avengers / Invaders Vol 1 3
- Captain America: White Vol 1 0
- Captain America Vol 5 41
- Captain America Vol 5 43
- New Avengers Vol 1 48
- Captain America Vol 5 47
- Captain America Vol 5 48
- Captain America Comics 70th Anniversary Special Vol 1 1
- Young Allies Comics 70th Anniversary Special Vol 1 1
- Captain America Vol 1 602
- Captain America Vol 1 603
- Siege: Captain America Vol 1 1
- Captain America Vol 1 607
- Captain America: Forever Allies Vol 1 2
- Captain America Vol 1 611
- Captain America Vol 1 612
- Captain America Vol 1 618
- Fear Itself Vol 1 3
- Captain America and Bucky Vol 1 620
- Captain America and Bucky Vol 1 621
- Captain America and Bucky Vol 1 622
- Captain America and Bucky Vol 1 623
- Fear Itself Vol 1 7.1
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 1
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 6
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 7
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 8
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 9
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 10
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 11
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 12
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 13
- Winter Soldier Vol 1 14
- Original Sin Vol 1 3
- Black Widow Vol 5 8
- Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier Vol 1 1
- Thunderbolts Vol 3 5
- Black Widow Vol 6 9
- Secret Empire: Brave New World Vol 1 5
- Tales of Suspense Vol 1 101
- Tales of Suspense Vol 1 102
- Winter Soldier Vol 2 2
- Winter Soldier Vol 2 3
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.