Quotes by Thanos (Earth-616)
- The past is DEAD. The present, Annihilus, is WAR.
- Doom has asked you to live on your knees. Every day of this life, he's beaten you as you lie there. What do you do? You stand up. What time is it, Ben Grimm? What time is it?
- Carefully, ill-conceived son of a Badoon! I have not exerted myself thus far to have my plans of conquest foiled by a broken neck!
- You've gone too far, Mar-Vell! Bringing in the Avengers could slow my plans!
- What care I for the fate of three souls... when the entire universe is mine to control?!
- I, Thanos, gaze upon the cold vastness of space and muse upon my life. Both, I find, are empty.
- At this moment no living thing in the universe will die. Not the lowliest bacteria nor grandest Celestial. While stars collapse and implode, blown to dust all that possesses "life" refuses oblivion. All of it lives on despite its destiny, in defiance of the engine of evolution that culls the weak. All of it, Wilson, but you. I am the only reason you live. And because Thanos decrees it, you will die.
- He says you were a failed experiment... a weakling, a runt, deemed unlikely to survive the rigors of the tests. Doomed from conception and yet you lived. Thrived, even. I... respect that.
- They have, finally and for all time, shown the galaxy that they are a swarm of irresponsible, unevolved organisms, that must be put down before they destroy us all. Say goodbye to your home planet, Peter. Once word gets out that they ripped reality... Nothing will save them. And now you know... your father was right. That I, Thanos was right. The Earth needs to be punished.
- Earth. That is my price.
- I feel... sorry for him. My brother. His form will not survive the transference. A pity. He was.. not an unworthy ally. Alas...
- I am Thanos. And you... are nothing. I could kill you in an instant... but you have provided me with a moment of amusement and defeated an irritant... so you may leave to enjoy whatever pitiful life span still awaits you.
- There are many actors in this grand drama, and I, Thanos, appear to be the only participant with a full grasp on the situation.
- The seemingly all-powerful Goddess has recruited to her service some of Earth's most powerful and noble heroes. Though misguided, they fight for a cause they absolutely believe in. On the other hand, your comrades have Thanos of Titan as an ally. Admittedly a dubious honor, but also a definitive advantage.
- Fools taking up arms against omnipotence. They rush head-on into Armageddon. So I shall provide them with a most glorious doomsday! The heavens will run red with blood. But in the end, as always, Thanos will stand triumphant.
- Then let the gleam be fanned to a roaring flame! Let the battle begin!
- Mistress Death? You too betray me?
- The entire universe stands in grave peril.
- Today the evil was soundly defeated.
- No, her vengeance will prove much more imaginative.
- You spoke... and not through any intermediary! You spoke directly to me!
- He may truly be this universe's sole hope for salvation. And I must kill Adam in order to gain Mistress Death's love.
- I hold the galaxy in my palm -- ready to crush it like an eggshell! All who oppose me must die -- and the first of these are the Earthian superheroes! Destroy them -- with all dispatch!
- Recent events have clearly shown that, despite setting aside my galaxy conquering intentions, the universe still remains a dangerous place for this particular Titan.
- This is how you would treat your Lord Almighty? You would challenge the heavens so brazenly?! So be it then! Let there be war!
- A disciple of Death... versus a Lord of Destruction. Tell me then, Darkseid... would you care to make a wager on the outcome?
- Behold ancient Eon, second eldest of the the Time Beings... the entity most responsible for my first ignominious defeat!
- Know, Geatar, that from this moment on, your life belongs to... Thanos of Titan!
- I did not ask for your trust. I demand only your obedience.
- Doom has asked you to live on your knees. Every day of this life, he's beaten you as you lie there. What do you do? You Stand up. What time is it, Ben Grimm? What time is it?
- The name is Thanos.
- Science and a benevolent nature have allowed thousands of different species to flourish beyond the capability of their environs to sustain them.
- To claim that Thanos, Death's truest servant, would drop progeny! Now that is truly unforgivable.
- I may be dead. But you, dear Surfer, are in Dynamo City. I am, by far, the more fortunate of the two of us. Welcome to Bedlam, Surfer. Know that you will never again roam the heavens. That is my legacy to you.
- For I am transformed! I have left the mortal plane behind me! In truth I have risen above the mantle of godhood! Even celestial status is now below me! The Infinity Gems have given me the power of Supreme Being!
- Did you truly believe I could be so easily duped, demon?
- Destiny waits for no man. Not even one who shall bring the universe to its knees.
- I, alone, have looked into the darkened corners of your soul... and know you for what you truly are.
- "All work and no fair play." Words to live by.
- Concerned? No, only curious. After the Silver Surfer has served his purpose... Thanos of Titan could not care less whether he lives or dies.
- Come, Spider-Man. Death and I, we have been waiting for you.
- It sounds ludicrous, I know, but... Sometimes, I believe I can remember the day I was born. I remember you holding me for the first time and the look of... horror that came over your face. And then you picked up a scalpel and tried to murder me. I'm sorry, mother. I'm sorry they wouldn't let you.
- Am I not Thanos?! Did I not butcher the woman who gave me birth, who forced me into this hell called life? Is not the wake of my passing crimson with the blood of my enemies and allies alike?! Death is with me every second of the day!
- I am failure personified.
- Many have opposed me: First and foremost the Kree champion Captain Mar-Vell. Long dead against his will while I yet live, against mine. There have always been those who would interfere with my goals. My choices. My dreams. Only one thing has ever remained true. My love and devotion to milady Death. And that thing has now been taken from me. I had accomplished my goals! I was at rest in emptiness and something woke me! I was at peace, and something brought me back to pain! ... Again, insects, you ask what am I? What I am is angry. What I am is insane with rage. What I am is...THANOS!
- In this universe, the chthonic entities had already begun to extend their unspeakable influence. Mar-Vell's terminal condition caused such distress amongst his peers and the global populations who adored him, something felt the empathic trauma. It felt it, and it responded with an offer to solve the problem. Something beckoned from the cosmic shadows and showed the dying Mar-Vell one simple truth. 'Even Death may die.'
- Who said I wanted to win, Kree dog? I just wanted you here, close, face-to-face. Do I need to spell it out, flea? Give me what I crave. Give me death! Give me the release of oblivion! And I will give you everything you want in return...my undying lord.
- Your fate will lay heavily on my heart, though by all rights it shouldn't. I did not force you to fight me. I gave you the chance to surrender the Gem. You forced me into doing what I did. I had to be faithful to my nature. For, after all, I am Thanos.
- I killed them because I... because I had too much love in my heart, and no place to put it, no one to give it to.
- I've come home. Because I'm tired of running from who I am. From who I was born to be.
- Cold. Her kiss... so cold and...
- It speaks... and knows of me by Name. Should I be flattered?
- Now? Now you speak?
- You would think, by now, that my Reputation would precede me...
- I endured the God Quarry because I knew exactly who and what I was, Thane. For me, it was merely a trial to overcome. You, however, have never known who you were or what kind of man you were meant to be. You have always been lost. So I would imagine for you it will be a living Hell.
- You drag me across the stars to tell jokes?! Face me, you coward! I will kill any who oppose me!
- I came here for my father. I did not come seeking a fight. No one else needed to die today. But if it is a fight you want, it is a fight you shall have. If it is death you want, it is death you shall have.
- I am Thanos of Titan. I have conquered worlds. I have bent reality around my will. Men cower at the mere mention of my name. And now... now you have imprisoned me... mocked me... disrespected me. And here you stand, ready to take advatange to my condition. Ready to finish me. Well, if I am to fall, I will die showing you all that Thanos will not be disrespected. Thanos is still a conqueror. Thanos is still a warrior. Thanos is still a god. And you will either bow or be broken!
- So you all allied with my son in a clandestine attempt to assassinate me, and now you want to switch sides, eh?
- I have news for you, Warlock! I may still be able to save your gleaming hide... but I cannot do it alone. I need your help! So fight! Blast you, fight!
- With your vampire gem you can drain the lifeforces from these maggots so quickly that not even the Magus will be able to stop you! We can then use the Time-Probe to eliminate the Magus's existence completely, and so save the stars from ever falling under his enslaving yoke!
- Behind each door waits further myriad treasures. The bounty is as diverse as the stars within the heavens. But the gilded goal I seek is the most precious of all. Further enlightenment.
- Arguably, you might have found your niche by the side of Adam Warlock, another singular creature. But he doesn't want you.
Conversations with Thanos (Earth-616)
Pip the Troll
- Am I not Thanos?! Did I not butcher the woman who gave me birth, who force-fed me into this hell called life?! Is not the wake of my passing crimson with the blood of my enemies and allies alike?! Death is with me every second of the day! My every moment is spent in either dealing out death or worshiping it! So tell me, who under the stars is better suited than I to be Death's consort?
All items (72)
- Captain Marvel Vol 1 27
- Marvel Feature Vol 1 12
- Captain Marvel Vol 1 31
- Warlock Vol 1 10
- Warlock Vol 1 11
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 34
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 35
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 38
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 40
- Thanos Quest Vol 1 1
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 44
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 45
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 49
- Cloak and Dagger Vol 3 18
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 50
- Infinity Gauntlet Vol 1 3
- Quasar Vol 1 26
- Infinity Gauntlet Vol 1 4
- Infinity Gauntlet Vol 1 5
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 59
- Spider-Man Vol 1 17
- Infinity War Vol 1 1
- Marvel Comics Presents Vol 1 108
- Marvel Comics Presents Vol 1 109
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch Vol 1 7
- Infinity War Vol 1 4
- Marvel Comics Presents Vol 1 111
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch Vol 1 8
- Infinity War Vol 1 6
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch Vol 1 10
- Marvel Holiday Special Vol 1 1992
- Infinity Crusade Vol 1 4
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 84
- Infinity Crusade Vol 1 5
- Secret Defenders Vol 1 11
- Secret Defenders Vol 1 12
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch Vol 1 25
- Cosmic Powers Vol 1 1
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch Vol 1 42
- Marvel Versus DC Vol 1 2
- Marvel Universe: The End Vol 1 5
- Thanos Vol 1 2
- Thanos Vol 1 7
- Thanos Vol 1 8
- Thanos Vol 1 12
- Annihilation: Silver Surfer Vol 1 2
- Thanos Imperative: Ignition Vol 1 1
- Thanos Imperative Vol 1 3
- Thanos Imperative Vol 1 5
- Thanos Rising Vol 1 2
- Thanos Rising Vol 1 3
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 5
- Thanos Rising Vol 1 5
- Infinity Vol 1 3
- Thanos Annual Vol 1 1
- Secret Wars Vol 1 4
- Deadpool vs. Thanos Vol 1 1
- Deadpool vs. Thanos Vol 1 3
- Siege Vol 2 4
- Free Comic Book Day Vol 2016 Civil War II
- Thanos Vol 2 3
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 4 19
- Thanos Vol 2 6
- Thanos Vol 2 8
- Thanos Vol 2 10
- Thanos Vol 2 12
- Thanos Vol 2 13
- Infinity Countdown: Champions Vol 1 2
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 5 5
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.