Appearing in "The Opener of the Crypt!"
- Paul Montre (First appearance) (Main story and flashback)
- Professor Armaux (First appearance)
- Fortunato (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Tales of Mystery (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Opener of the Crypt!"
The last of the Montresor line is drawn by Fortunato's ghost to disinter his remains from the impromptu crypt he had met his end in. The tables are turned, for as the ghost dissipates, the man's strength fails him, the torch gives out, and the rats close in to the sound of tinkling jester bells.
Appearing in "Pawn of the Devoured"
- Unnamed man (Only appearance; dies)
- Good Lord (Invoked)
- Soldiers (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Unnamed island (First appearance)
- Heaven (Invoked)
- Unnamed ship (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Pawn of the Devoured"
A man washes up on an island with nothing to eat but ants. The ants take over his body from the inside so that when other humans arrive, he is nothing but a giant ant body with a human head and they shoot him.
Appearing in "The Demon from Beyond!"
- Murdoch Adams (First appearance)
- Lenore Wilkins (First appearance)
- Druidic priests (First appearance)
- Ludi / Lud (First appearance) (Main story and flashback)
- Romans (Mentioned)
- Priests that buried the artifacts needed to summon Ludi (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Unnamed reverend (Only appearance; dies)
- The Almighty / Good Lord (Invoked)
Races and Species:
- Rite of Exorcismorum (Mentioned)
Events and Eras:
- Middle Ages (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "The Demon from Beyond!"
Adventurer Murdoch Adams is traveling through England when he is caught in the rain. Seeking shelter in a mausoleum in order to keep dry, he is shocked to see a woman rise out of her casket and exit the tomb. Following the girl, he is witnessed to a bizarre ceremony in which the girl is about to be sacrificed to a demon named Ludi. Not wishing to see the girl be killed, Murdoch attacks the cultists and Ludi directly, and when he fires his gun Ludi vanishes and the cultists flee back to their village.
Murdoch revives the girl, named Lenore, who was in a hypnotic trance and she tells the traveler that her people worships Ludi prior to the coming of the Romans and the enforcement of Christianity in the region. She explains that Ludi used to be a god of worship who would be a bringer of crops and good weather in times of the ancients. In return for this kindness Ludi would demand worship and the occasional bride to be sacrificed to him. When Catholicism reached the land, the artifacts that were required to summon Ludi were buried away. However, in recent times, the people of this land -- still worshiping Ludi, even though he has degraded into a demon -- had uncovered the bell required to summon the creature.
Murdoch decides to end Ludi's reign by performing a rite of exorcism and seeks off to find a priest. He is chased by Ludi who seeks to kill the man. Although Adams manages to make it to a church, Ludi breaks in and kills the priest. When Murdoch realizes that Ludi's weakness is loud noise, Murdoch rings the bells in the church destroying Ludi and ending his tyranny. About to leave, Lenore stops him and asks him to stay, a request Murdoch decides to comply with feeling his days of adventure are over.
- Cover art: pencils, inks and colours by Brunner.
- The Opener of the Crypt!:
- The script is by John Jakes, based on his own short story.
- Costanza is uncredited.
- The Demon from Beyond! Izzo is uncredited.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Chamber of Chills Vol 1 4 on the forums
- Images from Chamber of Chills Vol 1 4
|Like this? Let us know!|