After the defeat of the symbiote-dragon Grendel at the hands of Thor, pieces of its living abyss fell to earth and bonded to human hosts; forming a cult dedicated to the worship of the primordial god of the abyss, Knull.
Sealed away at the core of Klyntar by his own creations, Knull was awakened centuries later when pieces of the Grendel symbiote were bonded to a taskforce of human soldiers, causing them to rampage. Knull chose the newborn Cletus Kasady as an agent of the Void, a destiny also foretold in the Darkhold and fulfilled when Kasady became the host of the Carnage symbiote.
At some point, the Scorn symbiote fell under Knull's influence and corrupted its host, Tanis Nieves, who became a high-ranking member of the cult; which by this point had enough members to form paramilitary units. When Knull's resurgence was foiled by Venom, Tanis decided to resurrect Carnage and turn him into Knull's avatar. To enact this plan, she led a squad of soldiers to retrieve Cletus Kasady's corpse after it fell to Earth, and sent a squad to retrieve a sample of the Grendel symbiote from Project Oversight. Tanis bonded the sample of the Grendel symbiote to Cletus, reviving him and connecting him to Knull. Rather than submit to Knull, Cletus ripped out Scorn's spine and consumed the Carnage symbiote's codex - trace remnants of the symbiote left over from her time as its host - which prevented Knull from taking over Cletus. However, Carnage decided to free Knull and assumed command of the cult, setting out to hunt down former and current symbiote hosts to devour their codexes and symbiotes.
Carnage's first move was to attack the Underground City in San Francisco - once defended by Venom - establishing a Spire of living abyss and and enslaving its citizens, sending them to hunt down former symbiote hosts; though this alerted the Venom symbiote to his return. Carnage then recruited his old allies Shriek and the Doppelganger to his cause. Shriek resumed her alias of "Sandra Deel" and began acting as the cult's public face, going to great lengths to pass it off as a legitimate religious order; including acquiring the Last Chance Church in Doverton, Colorado - which Carnage had once conquered years earlier - building a head office in the shape of Knull's dragon emblem, and commissioning wall-art and furnishings shaped like Knull's spiral sigil. Shriek and Carnage subsequently converted the populace of Doverton to the cult and harvested their symbiote codexes, leaving the city in ruins and alerting Misty Knight of the Aberrant Crimes Division to their activities.
Over several months, Carnage continued to hunt codexes, at times assisted by a team of cultists acting as mission control. Under Carnage's control, Jameson captured Misty Knight and imprisoned her in Ravencroft. Returning to Manhattan, Kasady established another Spire underneath Grand Street, sitting out the War of the Realms. Deciding to make his move, Kasady killed Lee Price to claim his codexes and the Mania symbiote, going after Eddie Brock - who was rescued by the Venom symbiote. Summoning the Knull-corrupted Riot, Agony, Phage, and Lasher symbiotes to go after Normie Osborn, Kasady compelled John Jameson to lure Spider-Man and Venom into a trap and took over Ravencroft Institute, infecting Norman Osborn with the Grendel symbiote to turn him into a copy of Carnage, enslaving the inmates, and resurrecting Demogoblin using Shriek as a vessel. When Deadpool burned down Ravencroft, Kasady returned to the Spire underneath Grand Street, unleashing his horde of symbiote-doppelgangers on the city - claiming Spider-Man (Miles Morales) and the resurrected Knull-corrupted Scream (Patricia Robertson) as minions.
Dark Carnage and his horde attacked Rex Strickland's warehouse, battling the assembled heroes. However, when Venom killed Cletus Kasady and absorbed the Grendel symbiote into his own, the people being controlled by the Grendel symbiote's offshoots were freed. However, the cult's ultimate goal was established, as in doing so Venom had unleashed Knull from his prison.
Equipment: * While under Scorn's command, the cult was able to field paramilitary units equipped with combat armor.
- The Church of the New Darkness is inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos' Church of Starry Wisdom and other religious organizations serving as fronts for the worship of ancient eldritch horrors such the Great Old Ones.
- 27 Church of the New Darkness (Earth-616) Members
- 32 Appearances of Church of the New Darkness (Earth-616)
- 2 Minor Appearances of Church of the New Darkness (Earth-616)
- 3 Media Church of the New Darkness (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 10 Images that include Church of the New Darkness (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Church of the New Darkness (Earth-616)
Links and References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Web of Venom: Carnage Born #1
- ↑ Web of Venom: Ve'Nam #1
- ↑ Venom Vol 4 #1-6
- ↑ Web of Venom: Unleashed #1
- ↑ Web of Venom: Cult of Carnage #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage: Weapon Plus #1
- ↑ Web of Venom: Funeral Pyre #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage: Symbiote of Vengeance #1
- ↑ Venom Vol 4 #15
- ↑ Free Comic Book Day Vol 2019 #Spider-Man/Venom
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Absolute Carnage #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage: Separation Anxiety #1
- ↑ Venom Vol 4 #17
- ↑ Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage vs. Deadpool #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage: Miles Morales #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage: Scream #1
- ↑ Absolute Carnage #5