- To do what I needed to do to win this quickly-- I knew that meant you and I would probably never speak again. Or be friends again. Or partners again. I told myself I was okay with it because I knew I was right and I--I knew it was saving lives. It was!! It was the right thing to do! And--and--and I was willing to get in bed with people we despise to get this done. And I knew the world favors the underdog and that I would be the bad guy. I knew this and I said it was okay with it. And--and even though I said... Even though I said I was willing to go all the way with it... I wasn't. And--and I know this because the worst has happened. The thing I can't live with has happened. And for all our back and forth--and all the things we've said and done to each other... For all the hard questions I've had to ask, and terrible lies I've had to tell... There's one thing that I'll never be able to tell anyone now. Not my friends or my co-workers or my President... The one thing!! The one thing I should have told you. But now I can't... It wasn't worth it.
- -- Tony Stark
Appearing in "The Confession"
- S.H.I.E.L.D. agents
Synopsis for "The Confession"
In the first part of this story, Iron Man confesses to the body of Captain America that he knew the war was coming and knew what side they would both be on. He eventually comes to the conclusion that if the war meant the death of Steve Rogers, it wasn't worth it.
In the second part of the story, Iron Man confronts Captain America soon after the latter's capture at the end of Civil War #7. Captain America tells Iron Man that while both were fighting for what they believed, Iron Man sold out and worked with people they had both fought against in order to win. He concludes by asking Iron Man if the entire war was worth it.
- The first part of this story takes place just after the events of Captain America Vol 5 #25. The second part takes place just before the events in that same issue.
- Iron Man and Doctor Doom's sojourn to the time of King Arthur took place in Iron Man #150
- This issue is reprinted in comics and trade paperbacks. 
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Civil War: The Confession Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Images from Civil War: The Confession Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|