Appearing in "Hawks from the Sea"
- Makkalet's fleet and troops (First appearance)
- Kharam-Akkad (Makkalet's high priest) (First appearance)
- Spectres/giants/mirror-images (First appearance)
- King Yildiz (Mentioned)
- Tarim (First appearance)
- Crom (Invoked)
- Balthaz (First appearance)
- Tarim (first) (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Erlik (Invoked)
- Turanian siege-fleet
- Mitra (Invoked)
- King of Makkalet (First appearance)
- Queen of Makkalet (First appearance)
- Makkalet's captains (First appearance)
- Burgun (Mentioned)
- Crom (Invoked)
Races and Species:
- Lemuria (Only in flashback)
- Hell / The Pit (Invoked)
- Turanian Dragon-Prows (warships)
Synopsis for "Hawks from the Sea"
It doesn't take long for Conan to rub the crew of Prince Yezdigerd's ship the wrong way, and he soon gets involved in a brawl with a short-tempered soldier named Balthaz. Prince Yezdigerd, impressed by Conan, tells the barbarian his plan to invade Makkalet. Yezdigerd's ship meets with the Turanian fleet and joins with the assault on the city. The high priest of Makkalet, Kharam-Akkad, has some secret plans to save the city, and to that end is subtly taking control of the city from its weak king. As Balthaz leads Yezdigerd's troops into the city, Kharam unleashes his secret weapon, nine giant undead warriors! They slaughter the Taranian troops but Balthaz and Fafnir escape by climbing the walls toward the priest. Fafnir is felled by an arrow and Conan risks his life to reach his companion, but, other than pulling the arrow free, realizes he can do nothing. He does, however, notice that one of the giants seems to be a focal point for the other eight, so he climbs back down into the fray. He doesn't see Fafnir groggily roll over and fall from the wall into the ocean. Conan confronts the central zombie, caving its head in with his mace, and is satisfied to see all of the other giants crumble as well. The monsters dissolve, as does the magical amulet that Kharam was using to control the undead, and the Taranian forces take the eastern wall.
Barry Smith returns as artist of the most widely-heralded comic-mag of all! And the story ain't bad, either!
- Cover art and story colors by Smith (per Windsor-Smith in Spectrum Super Special #3).
- Only story pages 1-9 are inked.
- synopsis by YardIHS
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Conan the Barbarian Vol 1 19 on the forums
- Images from Conan the Barbarian Vol 1 19
|Like this? Let us know!|