Coney Island is a residential and entertainment area, located on a peninsula in the southwestern part of the borough of Brooklyn in New York City. The neighborhood is bounded by Manhattan Beach to its east, Lower New York Bay to the south and west, and Gravesend to the north, and includes the subsections of Sea Gate to its west and Brighton Beach to its east.
During World War II, a fake celebrity meet-and0greet ran out of Coney Island using imposters of Captain America and Bucky; this ended twice in disaster for them: First when the real heroes in their civilian identities of Private Steve Rogers and camp mascot Bucky Barnes roughed them up, and were later kidnapped and murdered by agents of the vengeance-seeking Red Skull.
Many years later, when Dr. Octopus kidnapped Betty Brant he brought her to the Coney Island amusement park to challenge Spider-Man, Spidey arrived to battle him, although all his powers completely faded because of a cold. Naturally, the powerless Spider-Man proved to be no match for Dr. Octopus, who then publicly unmasked Spider-Man in front of Betty Brant, J. Jonah Jameson and the police.
Secretly alterted by the Black Widow, Goliath came here to save her from her kidnappers Egghead, the Puppet Master and the Mad Thinker, who were plotting to hold the world hostage with a powerful space station of their own design. They sent out a giant robot holding Black Widow as captive to keep Goliath busy while they made their escape. Goliath destroyed the robot and saved Natasha, and the two left Coney Island to inform the Avengers of the villains' plan.
- 130 Appearances of Coney Island
- 10 Minor Appearances of Coney Island
- 39 Media Coney Island was Mentioned in
- 7 Images featuring Coney Island
- Location Gallery: Coney Island
- 4 locations in Coney Island
Links and References
- Amazing Spider-Man #12 - Site of battle between Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus.
- Tales of Suspense #57 - Iron Man stopped an out-of-control carnival ride, thereby inspiring Hawkeye to become a costumed adventurer.