- 1 History
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Paraphernalia
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Links and References
- That does it. That enough. No more Mr. Nice Dog. Now Cosmo will hurt everyone.
- -- Cosmo src
Cosmo was formerly a test animal for the Soviet Space Program (СССР). He was launched into Earth's orbit as part of an experiment but his spacecraft drifted out of orbit during the 1960's, eventually sending him to Knowhere. At some point during spacial drift, cosmic rays mutated him, giving him his psionic powers. Thereafter, he became the station's Chief of Security for Knowhere.
Cosmo met a distraught Nova shortly after he witnessed Suspensor turn into a zombie. He told Nova that he was on Knowhere, a city built inside the giant severed head of a Celestial. Worldmind then informed Nova that he had deciphered the writing on the wall, which was the countdown of a timer, and that beings from all over the universe have come to Knowhere for a kind of front-row seat to observe the end of the universe.
Cosmo brought Nova up to speed on the events, and the Xandarian Worldmind added any data he had at his disposal. Cosmo explained he was mainly concerned with the safety of the remaining citizens of Knowhere who were safely hidden away in a dimensional envelope he wore on his collar, where they had gone into hiding after the Luminals brought something in a big box. Not long after, Cosmo and Nova were ambushed by more zombies, some of which were surviving members of Suspensor's former team, and determined that the creature known as Abyss was behind the mayhem. Together, they fought off the attacks and sealed Abyss back inside his prison.
Cosmo then charted a course to the birthplace of the Phalanx, the planet Kvch, in hopes of helping Nova to find a means to cure himself of the Transmode Virus that was slowly killing him. Alarms were triggered when an infected Gamora and Drax, under the control of the Phalanx, slaughtered many residents in search of Nova. Cosmo arrived too late to stop them before they could follow the same path as Nova through the Continuum Cortex.
Guardians of the Galaxy
When the Guardians of the Galaxy team first formed, Knowhere was recommended to them as a base of operations by Nova. Cosmo allowed the team to use Knowhere as their base and helped them where needed, especially in the use of the Continuum Cortex transport system, as well as suggesting the names 'The Retrievers' and 'The K-Nine' for their team.
The true nature of the Fault began to reveal itself and the corrupted beings of the Cancerverse started their invasion. The Guardians of the Galaxy allied with Thanos to stop the evil Lord Mar-Vell. In the end, the team disbanded, losing Adam Warlock, Phyla-Vell, Drax and their leader Star-Lord. But before he died, Star-Lord left Cosmo with a task to collect the greatest humanoid beings in the universe to form a band of Annihilators, the team Star-Lord believed was what the Guardians of the Galaxy should have been. Cosmo one by one convinced the Silver Surfer, Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, Quasar and Ronan the Accuser to team up and protect the universe together, as was Star-Lord's final wish.
Star-Lord had apparently invited the Galadorian Circle to select and send their greatest, which turned out to be Ikon of the Spaceknights. After Cosmo successfully brought the Annihilators together, Ikon inserted herself into the band with a proclamation that– despite the purity of its concept– the ultimate sanction would fail to operate well by its sole constitution of Alpha Plus class beings, making it too strong. In an attempt to debunk Star-Lord's logic, Ikon mentioned how he had listed the Dire Wraiths as a present threat when she understood that to be impossible as they were sealed in Dark Nebula, at which point Cosmo forcefully interrupted her to brief the Annihilators' first mission: intercept an active breach in the Dark Nebula. Upon their return, Cosmo welcomed the Annihilators back to celebrate their achievements, but their party was cut short when a "nasty sentient black hole… attacked Galaxy K-123."
Via Knowhere's Continuum Cortex, the Annihilators transferred aboard Matriarch Aqwen's templeship in the Gulf of Sidris to stop the Universal Church of Truth's attack on the Western Spiral Order (a splinter faction of the same UCT) in the Gulf of Sidris. Cosmo journeyed with them this time.
He was last seen injured, after Captain Skaarn's takeover of Knowhere. Skaarn had poisoned Cosmo and shot him with something that dampened Cosmo's psychic telepathy. Using the Nova Force, the young Nova tried to push the poison out of his body. In the process, he found the foreign body inside of the psychic dog that disrupted his powers, and thus, saved him.
|Power Grid |
- Telepathic Defense: He can manifest his telepathy in a number of defensive ways.
- Telepathic Cloaking: He can mask his presence and the use of his abilities from being detected by other psions and psychic entities. He can extend these defenses to others around him as well. Cloaking via telepathy is not perfect and powerful telepaths may notice and 'see through' this ability.
- Psionic Shield: He can erect a psychic screen for the protection of himself and of others' minds from psionic or energy-based attacks.
- Telepathic Illusions: He can create realistic and very detailed illusions and cause others to experience events which are not actually occurring.
- Telepathic Camouflage: He can alter the apparent physical appearance of himself and others by altering what those around them perceive. He may do this by masking allies to an extent that they may be unrecognizable by the enemy or that their very presence goes altogether undetected.
- Telepathic Manipulation: He can manipulate others' minds with ease, achieving a variety of effects.
- Mind Control: He can control the thoughts and actions others to a certain extent. Cosmo demonstrates this when he forces Adomox to give an antidote to Nova and Rocket.
- Mental Paralysis: He can induce temporary mental or physical paralysis. He was skilled enough to make a Cancerverse-version of the Hulk stroke out by reaching into its mind.
- Mental Amnesia: Ability to erase any awareness of particular memories or cause total amnesia.
- Mental Sedating: He can telepathically 'sedate' a target's mind so that, if already rendered unconscious, they remain so for as long as he continues to 'sedate' them. Together with Mantis and Moondragon, he was able to calm an enraged Thanos.
- Psionic Blast: He can project psionic force bolts, which have no physical effects but rather attack a target's mind so as to cause them pain or loss of consciousness, induce a stroke, or simply turn them brain-dead.
- Mental Detection: He can sense the presence of other sentient entities, including powerful psions, within a small but as yet undefined radius of oneself by perceiving the distinctive mental radiations emitted by such beings.
Extended Longevity: Cosmo is decades older than the normal maximum life expectancy of a dog, and does not appear to age physically.
- Canine physiology: Cosmo can run faster than most humans, perceives reality at a different rate, and is extremely loyal. His jaw muscles are powerful enough to carry a flamethrower.
- Certain poisons can dampen Cosmo's powers.
- Psychic Overload: When Adam became the Magus for an instant to attack a powerful telepath, the presence of the powerful psychic entity caused a nosebleed for both Cosmo and Mantis.
- White Spacesuit: Insulated and has a dome visor, and sometimes includes small compartments.
- Tesseracted Storage Crystal Chip: Built in a lab on Knowhere, Cosmo wears it on his collar. This finitely-powered hardware can store the entire population of Knowhere in an instant.
- 66 Appearances of Cosmo (Dog) (Earth-616)
- 6 Minor Appearances of Cosmo (Dog) (Earth-616)
- Media Cosmo (Dog) (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 31 Images featuring Cosmo (Dog) (Earth-616)
- 7 Quotations by or about Cosmo (Dog) (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Cosmo (Dog) (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Nova Vol 4 #8
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 #1
- Nova Vol 4 #9
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 #1-25
- Thanos Imperative: Ignition #1
- Annihilators #1
- Annihilators #4
- Nova Vol 5 #14
- Nova Vol 5 #15
- Thanos Imperative #5
- Nova Vol 5 #20
- Thanos Imperative #2
- Thanos Imperative #1
- Marvel Pets Handbook #1
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 #5
- Guardians of the Galaxy #148
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 #15
- Nova Vol 4 #29
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 #22
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #14
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 14
|Like this? Let us know!|