After Set committed the first murder by killing another Elder God and absorbed his life-force, the Gods degenerated into demons, Gaea mated with the Demiurge to create Atum the Demogorge, who annihilated most of the degenerated Elder Gods. After Set rallied Chthon to try and stop the Demogorge, in vain, he created illusion forms of himself, Sligguth and Damballah, and they fled from the Demogorge's wrath, entering a pocket dimension adjacent to Earth's dimensional space.
During the birth of Santeria (a merger of Vodū, Catholicism, and indigenous American beliefs), the Vodu god Dam-Ayido Wede reinvented his image, adopting the name "Damballah", and misrepresenting himself as the Vodū Sky Father, usurping Buluku's role.
It was summoned by Black Talon, possibly inadvertently while trying to reach Damballah (Dam-Ayido Wede), to assist him in a fight against the Avengers, but was banished by the Scarlet Witch.
Damballah can travel to Earth in spirit form and can appear as a huge snake or humanoid serpent. He can also possess other serpents transforming them into facsimiles of himself as well as control serpents. He is even known to possess others.
Damballah was a name of Set in the short story Red Moon of Zembabwei by Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp, published in 1977 in the anthology Conan of Aquilonia, in the story it is said that the serpent god is worshiped in Zembabwei.
- 5 appearance(s) of Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)
- 2 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)
- 5 mention(s) of Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)
- 4 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)
- 2 image(s) of Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)
- 1 item(s) used/owned by Damballah (Demon) (Earth-616)