- Is there anything I can do to help the Center?
- -- Matt Murdock
Appearing in "They're Tearing Down Fogwell's Gym!"
- Iron Man (Only in flashback)
- Crusher (Caldwell Rozza) (Death) (Only in flashback)
- Pop Fenton
- Father Gawaine (Formerly Known as "Kid" Gawaine)
- The "Fixer" (Only in flashback)
- Jack Murdock (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "They're Tearing Down Fogwell's Gym!"
Daredevil is excited at the prospect of the Black Widow coming to New York for the New Year, finally having settled her debts in San Fransisco since their last encounter four months prior. Taking the subway, Daredevil soon arrives at the District Attorney's office and changes into his civilian guise of Matt Murdock. There he finds that Foggy's sister Candace is leaving to be the star witness in a Senate subcommittee looking into the Sallis papers and is leaving that day. Matt is then told by Foggy that he got a call from Pop Fenton, the owner of Fogwell's Gym.
There he meets with Fenton and learns that he is not training fighters professionally and has been given a grant to re-open the gym as a neighborhood sports center to provide exercise and training to young children in the hopes of dealing with youth crime and violence. He also learns that "Kid" Gawaine has given up boxing and become a priest after he was saved by Daredevil. They explain that they need the help of a lawyer, and explain to them that a young man that has started coming to the gym named Juan Aponte. They explain that the small boxer wants to fight in heavyweight matches and has sought out othe help of Dr. Jakkelburr. Jakkelburr, they explain was the coroner who performed the autopsy on one time Iron Man villain the Crusher and learned a means of duplicating the process. In recreating the treatment in Juan, it begun to work however a side effect has effected Juan's temperament explosively. They have since refused to let him fight until a legitimate doctor has had a chance to look at him.
As Matt is explaining the possibility of getting a restraining order they are attacked by Juan with Jakkelburr and some thugs in tow. Murdock is tossed into the locker room while they force the others to allow Juan to fight in tonight's heavyweight match. Left alone, Matt changes into Daredevil and arrives just as Juan has mutated into a gigantic creature similar in appearance to the original Crusher.
As the new Crusher goes into a rampage, Daredevil tries his best to fight him off, however his strength proves to be too strong. However, when the fight causes a wall to crumble down and potentially crush Pop and Father Gawaine to death, the Crusher shields them from the rock fall. After Daredevil finishes rounding up Jakkelburr and his men, he checks on Juan, who has reverted back to his human form. Juan apologizes for his rampage, telling them that he wanted to be a heavyweight champ, not some punk kid and dies in Pop's arms.
- First issue for new Daredevil writer Tony Isabella.
- First mention of Daredevil's Catholic faith. 
- This issue contains a letters page, Let's Level With Daredevil. Letters are published from Dean Mullaney, Carl Fortunato and Dan Simas.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Daredevil Vol 1 119 on the forums
- 4 Images from Daredevil Vol 1 119
- 1 Reprints of Daredevil Vol 1 119
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
- ↑ http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Daredevil.html
|Like this? Let us know!|