Appearing in "There Shall Come a Gladiator!"
- Gladiator (Melvin Potter) (First appearance)
- Dr. Strange (Stephen Strange) (Cameo)
- Thor (Cameo)
- Captain America (Steven Rogers) (Cameo)
- New York City Police Department
- Mr. Dunn (Only appearance)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
- Daredevil's Suit
- Daredevil's Billy Club
- Captain America's Uniform (Cameo)
- Captain America's Shield (Cameo)
- Mjolnir (Cameo)
Synopsis for "There Shall Come a Gladiator!"
In order to continue tricking Karen Page into thinking that he is Daredevil (and win her affections), Foggy Nelson has shown up at the costume shop, when he meets its temperamental owner, he asks the man to make him a Daredevil costume in his size. Taking Foggy's measurements, the costume maker sends Foggy out, to come back for the costume later. After Foggy leaves, we learn that the man hates costumed-heroes because they are "swaggering braggarts!" Thinking that anybody can be a hero or villain, the costume maker now feels ready to prove his theory.
Meanwhile, after some exercise at home, Matt Murdock shows up for work to find that Foggy is still pretending to be Daredevil, which worries him. That night, Foggy picks up his costume, and the costume maker -- picking up on Foggy wanting to impress a woman -- offers to help him put on a mock battle in his Daredevil costume as a new costumed villain. Foggy eagerly agrees and then tries on his new costume at home, not knowing that the real Daredevil has been watching him the whole time.
As Foggy takes Karen out on a date (little knowing they're being followed by Daredevil) the costume maker has made his own costume in an attempt to be a real villain, dubbing himself the Gladiator, he goes out to the designated meeting place for their battle. When Foggy puts on his Daredevil costume and fights the Gladiator, he soon realizes that the Gladiator is playing for keeps. Realizing that Foggy was faking the whole time Karen flees to get help just as the real Daredevil arrives to fight off the Gladiator.
When Karen gets to their office, she faints in front of their landlord and is rushed to a hospital. While back at the pier, Daredevil leaves the scene after the foe is defeated, leaving Foggy to explain the situation to the police. When Foggy realizes that Karen isn't there, he realizes that maybe she figured out his whole story was a lie. Meanwhile, Matt finds out that Karen has been taken to a hospital where he goes to find that she's being treated for exhaustion.
- A caption on the first page reads "Frantic Footnote: Smiley just had time to write the first seven pages before dashing south for his first vacation in years! So give a cheer for dandy Denny O'Neil, who bravely scripted the balance of this ever-lovin' epic!"
- In the Gladiator's costume shop, there are surprisingly life-like costume models of Doctor Doom, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange, Iron Man and Daredevil.
- Page 10, a full page image of the Gladiator serves as the artwork for his later 1974 Series "A" Marvel Value Stamp.
- This issue features a letters page, Let's Level With Daredevil. Letters are published from Peter Keough, Pam Haswell, B. West, Larry Pike, Perry Holman, Arthur Henick, Alvin Pogeler, Ed Wysocki, and Ronlad Fisher.
- credits (in addition to the footnote):
- Story by: Smilin' Stan Lee
- Art by: Jazzy Johnny Romita
- Inks by: Fearless Frank Giaocia
- Lettering by: Swingin' Sammy Rosen
- references: Daredevil #16, Daredevil #17, and Daredevil #7
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Daredevil Vol 1 18 on the forums
- 5 Images from Daredevil Vol 1 18
- 1 Reprints of Daredevil Vol 1 18
Links and References
- The Marvel Value Stamp Site 
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|