- All of them ... idiots... dolts -- imbeciles and worse. I am surrounded by incompetents.
- -- The Owl
Appearing in "And Death Is a Woman Called Widow"
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "And Death Is a Woman Called Widow"
The story continues from last issue as the man without fear, Daredevil sinks to the bottom of New York's Harbor after going down with the Owl's Helicopter. Meanwhile Karen Page who saw Daredevil's fateful crash on television believes that Matt is dead and faints from the excitement. However, unbeknownst to Karen and even the Owl, Daredevil is rescued by the Black Widow. She pulls him ashore then pulls back keeping her presence hidden for the time being.
At the same time Mr. Kline cuts ties with the Owl after he almost killed Daredevil, who he wanted captured. Luckily Mr. Kline reveals that he had alternate plans in place to save him. The Owl having just been kicked to the curb gets his men in order while Karen shares a comforting moment of romantic mourning with Phil Hichok after believing Matt to have been killed. Flashback to Mr. Kline who is talking to his superiors, and is revealed to be a robot called MK-9. The two discuss their plans to setup Foggy as the next Governor of New York, with Foggy acting as their pawn.
Daredevil who's still reeling from the crash and almost drowning returns to the offices of Nelson and Murdock to recover. Foggy who's there, questions if he should be helping him before Daredevil collapses on the floor, which leads him to help him. Switch scenes and the Owl and his men are robbing the Treasury Building, but just a few blocks away Natasha and Ivan are having a financial consultation when they hear the sounds of explosives coming from the building. Natasha jumps into action as the Black Widow and confronts the Owl and his men, meanwhile Daredevil who has since awoken hears the commotion as well and heads off to fight just as Foggy returns to find him missing from the room.
Black Widow and the Owl continue to fight and just when it looks like the Owl is getting the upper hand Daredevil makes it into the Treasury Building and aids the Black Widow. He finishes off the Owl and then collapses in Natasha's arms due to fatigue and injuries. The Owl and his men are arrested, but flash to Mk-9 who has been promoted to the code name Assassin decides it's time to set his plans in motion.
Appearing in "The Merry Marvel Gallery"
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "The Merry Marvel Gallery"
One page pin-up of the Black Widow by Bill Everett.
Appearing in "The Sinister Space Trap"
Synopsis for "The Sinister Space Trap"
Make way for the Black Widow! But, whose side is she on, in the battle against the ominous Owl? Plus - the secret of Mr. Kline, at last!
- Daredevil's Billy Club does not appear this issue. It is lost underwater and will soon be replaced.
- This issue presents a "new" cover image logo for Daredevil. The art is not new, but a recycled John Romita panel from Daredevil #14 page 7, panel 2.
- This issue features a letters page, Let's Level With Daredevil. Letters are published from Ned C. Balbo, Juan Cole, Bruce Long, Jim Vicko, and Jim Rubino.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story#666Z.
- In The Sinister Space Trap plot by Lee and Powell, script by Ivie.
- This issue does feature one full page advertisements (with cover reproductions) of Fantastic Four Annual #9 and Amazing Spider-Man Annual #8.
- In the Bullpen Bulletins it is announced: Two of 'em - Daredevil and Iron Man will be combining into one bombshell title starting next month, to make way for new ideas and concepts. This does not occur as both titles continue to be published at a new prices (20 Cents).
- Fresh off her recent cancellation of her series in Amazing Adventures, the The Black Widow will become a recurring character and an eventual co-star in this title.
- Daredevil is mistakenly colored on the cover of this issue without his trademark red eye lenses.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Daredevil Vol 1 81 on the forums
- 2 Images from Daredevil Vol 1 81
|Like this? Let us know!|