In his mid-20s, while working days at a secondhand clothing store, Darnell began moonlighting as Shade, a drag queen inspired by New York superheroes. With her best friend, Spillin' Tea-yana Taylor, Shade hosted a lip-sync night it Astoria. However, Shade's real ambition was to be the star of a drag queen competition show. Unfortunately, when Tea gets selected as a drag competition contestant, she snubs Shade on national television ending their friendship and leaving Shade with nothin but an apartment with the electricity turned off and a desire to disappear. And at that moment, Shade's mutant powers manifest allowing her to control Darkforce energy to teleport herself and others.
Using his new powers, Darnell went on a "shopping spree" with a friend that ended when the police arrived and with Darnell losing his friend while escaping through the Darkforce. Vowing to now only use her powers to bring light and joy into the world, Darnell has rebranded his drag/hero persona as Darkveil.
- According to co-creator Sina Grace, Shade was inspired by RuPaul's Drag Race alumni The Vixen, Monét X Change, Dax ExclamationPoint (who frequently cosplays as Storm), and Shea Couleé, the latter of whom was also used as a photo reference for the character.
- Shade is seemingly Marvel's first drag queen superhero.
- 4 appearance(s) of Darnell Wade (Earth-616)
- 1 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Darnell Wade (Earth-616)
- 8 image(s) of Darnell Wade (Earth-616)